Hobart HH140 or millermatic 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart HH140 or millermatic 140

Does anyone know if these machines are the same other than brand? I am not considering the autoset version of the miller just the plain 140. There seems to be quite a difference in $

The major differences between the two machines are:

1. voltage control - the Handler 140 has a tapped (x4) voltage control, the MM140 has an infinite voltage control. This is the cost difference driver.

2. gun interface

3. gun - power pins are different

4. both have over-temperature controls, the MM has an indicator that lights when the machine is in an over-temp condition.

Comment

Yes, price. Personally in this class of machine I find simple as possible a good thing. The HH140 doesn't scare me.
      http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

For the price difference, I went with the HH140 and have never had any regrets.
        HH140
        Millermatic 135
        Miller Thunderbolt XL

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

Comment

In Hobart's compact units the HH210 and HH187 are high quality performers across the entire range they cover. Then there's the HH 140, which is very mediocre on anything besides very thin (20 ga and thinner) sheet metal. The HH 140 has an amazing low end arc (extremely soft); however, the mid range and top end arc and weld puddle wet out aren't really that good.

I haven't ran the MM 140 so I have nothing offer on it.

If I were considering a 120V unit, based on the performance I see from my PM 180C , the PM 140C would be at the top of my list.
          Last edited by Dan; 12-05-2008, 04:40 AM.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I have the HH140 and Like it alot. At the time I bought it it was a much better buy than the lincoln or the miller. But I havn't used the newer lincoln 140.
            Capitol Punishment

Comment

I personally like the tap voltage control. The infinite voltage control can be hard sometimes to get dialed in just right. But each have their own advantages and disadvantages. But for a newbie, I recommend the tap.
              PowerMig 215
              Precision Tig 225
              Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
              HH 125 EZ
              MM 350P
              TB 302 w/ 12RC

Originally posted by scab
              If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Then there's the HH 140, which is very mediocre on anything besides very thin (20 ga and thinner) sheet metal. The HH 140 has an amazing low end arc (extremely soft); however, the mid range and top end arc and weld puddle wet out aren't really that good.
                Maybe you don't have one or have never welded with a HH140. Mine sure welds stuff a lot thicker than 20 ga just fine. 10-16ga is what I bought it for and it works fine.

the way you describe it its a POS, many are very happy. Including me.
                Second Location
                HF 220v gasless mig
                Hobart AC Stickmate
                80/B O/A

Comment

I can weld 3/16 great. 1/4 if I preheat.
                  Capitol Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by robsd View Post
                    Maybe you don't have one or have never welded with a HH140. Mine sure welds stuff a lot thicker than 20 ga just fine. 10-16ga is what I bought it for and it works fine.

the way you describe it its a POS, many are very happy. Including me.

I have a HH 140 in my posession. I obviously have no idea how many other units you've ran besides the HH 140. However, my opinion of the arc quality and weld puddle wet out that the HH 140 produces, with a solid wire , is based on comparing it to the 20 plus other wire feed welders that I have ran over the past 20 years.

The HH 140 does run a self shielded ( E71T-11) wire very well.
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Funny,
                      I did not find the HH-140 a bad machine the few times I ran one. The low-end is really good like Dan said. I know I prefer the Lincoln 140C in the way the puddle wets out in it's top range. I used the HH-140 on a small generator and it would run when a Miller passport would not. Guess that is one reason I liked it. The Miller 140 works well too. I am most interested in the newer Thermal 140 to see how that tapped machine stacks up. The 131 model was hot down on the bottom but it wet the puddle out great at on the top.
                      Esab 2200 AC/DC
                      Thermal 211i
                      Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                      Smith O/A plus mini torch
                      Smith machine torch
                      LN-25 pro
                      LF-72 feeder
                      Edwards 65 ton
                      5X10 CNC table
                      Victor A-120
                      Miller Shopmate 300DX
                      S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post
                        Funny,
                        I did not find the HH-140 a bad machine the few times I ran one. The low-end is really good like Dan said. I know I prefer the Lincoln 140C in the way the puddle wets out in it's top range. I used the HH-140 on a small generator and it would run when a Miller passport would not. Guess that is one reason I liked it. The Miller 140 works well too. I am most interested in the newer Thermal 140 to see how that tapped machine stacks up. The 131 model was hot down on the bottom but it wet the puddle out great at on the top.
                        Scott,

The low end alone keeps the HH 140 from being a "bad" unit. I'm just trying to point out beyond the low end there is most definitely room for improvement. In my experience, through its mid and upper out put range, the HH 140 lacks the ability to produce the real clean tight arc, with real good weld puddle wet out, that I see from the HH 187 and HH 210 across the out put range the HH 140 covers.

PM 180C

Comment

I just bought a HH140 last year that I keep at my parents house for their use. It's a nice machine. I had a HH120 for 10 plus years that was indestructable. I can't comment on Miller's unit.
                          Millermatic 210
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Fisher CZ-5....CZ-3D
                          Trek 5500
                          1966 Amphicar

Comment

I have a MM 140 with the Auto Set, works very well as does the HH140. I think any of the mojor brands will work well, I've also used the Lincoln 135 and it welds great as well.
                            Miller 140 A/S
                            HF Flux Core
                            Dewalt Chop Saw
                            Smith O/A Torch
                            Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X