Advice on welding gaps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on welding gaps...

The other day I needed to weld two peices of pipe perpendicular to each other. I notched the one pipe with a die grinder as best I could, so it would fit more flush with the second piece of pipe, but there was still a gap where I needed to weld, probably about an 1/8th of an inch wide. It was tough to seam weld it, without burning through or leaving a hole. How would you approach something like this? Would a piece of copper to back up the gap help any? Thanks in advance!

How big and thick is the pipe? MIG or stick? Need more info!

I always felt pretty good if I didn't have over 1/8" gap to fill.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Jim

Miller MM 210
    Miller Dialarc 250P
    Airco 225 engine driven
    Victor O/A
    Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Sounds more like tubing than pipe...or conduit. How large is this (diameter), and how thick??
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The tubing/pipe was 2" in diameter, and roughly 1/8th of an inch thick, maybe a tiny bit more. It was actually a big metal gate that I was fixing. I'm using a Lincoln flux-core. I tried adjusting the wire speed a bunch of times, but just couldn't get that gap to fill in.

Comment

If you are using a Lincoln 110 volt machine or even the Lincoln 175 machine,set the voltage to tap c,speed to 2 1/2. .035 fluxcore wire?
          Start on one side and build up the puddle a little then bring it across to the other pipe.You may have to use a U shaped type weave to bring a little metal down to help you fill the gap.It is hard to explain,but when you get the hang of it ,it will be no big deal.weld it vertical up.If you still have trouble ,try down hill,Once you get the gap filled you can go back over it to add some strength.If you have a different type machine ,than forget my settings but try the U weave uphill.Once you get the gapped bridged,you will have a shelf to build on and it will be a lot easier than bridging the gap.

Comment

After you have the gap filled ,switch to tap D ,SPEED 2 1/2 To cap the joint.This is the correct heat for the thickness you are using .but only after you have closed the gap up.If you try to close the gap with this heat ,you will mosy likly burn thru.[Lincoln machine only]

Comment

Okay, I will give that a try. I had the voltage set to C already, but my wire speed was just a hair above 2, I'll try 2.5 next time. Can you describe the "u-shaped basket weave"?

Comment

Just start the weld on one side drop down a little and go across the gap ,go up other side ,drop down a little ,back across the gap ,and on and on.you go up one side drop back down about half of what you went up then across ,do same thing.
                try going up about 1/4 inch,drop back about 1/8 then across,do same thing ,moving uphill.

Comment

Working...
                X