Stupid Question from newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question from newbie

I'm looking for my first welder. I have read a lot of reviews and such about Miller versus Hobart, etc. It seems the one difference some like with the Miller is the infinite adjustment. Couldn't one just take the multi position switch off a Hobart, solder an appropriate rheostat on and have that function?

Originally posted by olcurt View Post
    I'm looking for my first welder. I have read a lot of reviews and such about Miller versus Hobart, etc. It seems the one difference some like with the Miller is the infinite adjustment. Couldn't one just take the multi position switch off a Hobart, solder an appropriate rheostat on and have that function?
    Nope.
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

OK, that answers that. Is there anybody out there who has used both and can tell me if it would make a significant difference for a novice?

Comment

I have machines with both,,, much prefer the taps. The infinite is nothing to write home about.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I like taps on Mig and infinite on stick (or a combination of taps and rheostat).

Comment

Like buying a SUPER DOG and taking all the super off.....Why not just buy a plain hot-dog?

OK I'm weird........

Last edited by B_C; 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM.
            Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
            Hobart Beta Mig 200
            Twenty seven Hammers
            Three Crow Bars
            One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

I have to agree... The infinite isn't much to get excited over on a MIG.
              HH140
              Millermatic 135
              Miller Thunderbolt XL

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

Comment

Besides, in reality they are all infinite, in the wire speed anyway, and that's the only one you should be messing with once you are in the correct voltage range (tap.)

Comment

I almost never use anything but #2 tap, 50 speed on my HH180, and #1, again at 50. I tried different speed settings when doing a bunch of auto body welding, but found '50' worked best for that, even with the .023 wire I was using...so Infinite Speeds would have little use for me. I do change gun angle/distance some when I get in difficult situations with thin sheet.

...but I pretty much just stick "stuff" together, so my welds are not critical.
                  "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                  X