Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dda52
    replied
    Yeah, as good as it welds alu, I won't complain at all about having to swap out the gun for the spool gun. Some things are worth a little effort.

Leave a comment:

• Brand X
    replied
    I find a bigger annoyance is paying thousands for a aluminum welding setup and not have it weld as nice as the Lowly Hobart 210. Goes for Mild steel too.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobart Expert Darrell View Post
    This gives the customer the opportunity to utilize the system components in more applications (e.g. - steel and aluminum applications) rather than havings redundant components with their associated redundant costs.
    Darrell, I realize that making HH210 as it is now, probably, was a well calculated compromise. Not the best, but a workable solution. It would be just very interesting for me to know how much the proposed improvement would increase the production cost of the machine. Not even in $$ value, but percentage wise.

As for the control boxes, along with some convenience, they bring a degree of annoyance. First, because of the migration of wire speed control location; second, because none of the HH units has a provision for the control box operation with welder door closed. The latter would be an easy thing to implement, I guess.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Darrell
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
    Now I know why the metal became so expensive.

P.S. As for the HH210 helpful features, I wonder why they decided to force users to remove the MIG gun in order to connect a spool gun. Simple electrical and gas switches in addition to an extra spool gun connector would eliminate this hassle.
    We already offer the set-up you describe. If you want to purchase it for your Handler 210, you can purchase the SGA-100 spool gun interface and the 3035 spoolgun. With these accessories, you can leave your MIG gun connected while using your spool gun.

The Handler 210 was designed with integrated spool gun control circuitry and given the ability to utilize the existing gas valve already integrated in the welding system. This gives the customer the opportunity to utilize the system components in more applications (e.g. - steel and aluminum applications) rather than havings redundant components with their associated redundant costs.

For customers such as yourself who wish to have systems with the redundant circuitry, it's available for your purchase and will work fine for you.

Darrell

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
    Michael I'd say it is to help keep the cost down.
    That's the only explanation I can see. Athough I'd definitely prefer to pay extra $$ for the convenience of not respooling the wire, disconnecting the gun and the gas bottle. I just ordered HH210 and wonder if it makes sense to keep my old spool gun with a control box instead of buying DP-3035. At least, I won't need to disconnect the regular gun and gas supply every time I need to use spool gun.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 11-29-2008, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by dda52 View Post
    If you are worried about wasting 6" of wire, you'd croak if you saw what I was doing today. Trying different wires and settings with a new machine. Every time I swap wire, I waste 15' of wire. Did it at least 4 times.
    I set my M25 on one of those HF mig gun stands and went to the front yard to check on a package I was expecting. When I got back, I heard a strange humming sound, and realized that the trigger had contacted a piece of square tubing I was welding on, and had spooled off many, many feet of .030 wire. I was going to back it up onto the spool, but some of it was pretty dirty, so I just cut it off. The only reason it hadn't started weldin was that the ground clamp wasn't attached. There is a silver lining to every cloud.

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike
    replied
    Michael I'd say it is to help keep the cost down...start adding stuff and you have to pay more people to design it , build , etc..... plus it's really not that big of a deal to swap them out just keep an extra set of o-rings around in case you nick one.....

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Now I know why the metal became so expensive.

P.S. As for the HH210 helpful features, I wonder why they decided to force users to remove the MIG gun in order to connect a spool gun. Simple electrical and gas switches in addition to an extra spool gun connector would eliminate this hassle.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 11-28-2008, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dda52
    replied
    If you are worried about wasting 6" of wire, you'd croak if you saw what I was doing today. Trying different wires and settings with a new machine. Every time I swap wire, I waste 15' of wire. Did it at least 4 times.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by rufus View Post
    So what is the benefit of purging?

No, I don't know what I'm doing, But I am learning.

Thanks
    and don't sweat it if you don't have a Purge setting- the amount of wire that is "wasted" by us hobby doods is minimal.

Leave a comment:

• 84ZMike
    replied
    Open the door and flip it to spool gun pull the trigger and purge away....

Leave a comment:

• kenc
    replied
    Also lets you remove pressure from the regulator diaphragm (when you've finished welding and you're shutting things down) without wasting any wire.

Leave a comment:

• Zrexxer
    replied
    Originally posted by kenc View Post
    Unclamping the feed roller is a good idea but still, why did they remove the purge function?
    Probably because of all the cries of "My welder won't feed wire!" I've seen a bunch of them here on the forum in the past few years

Rufus, it lets the shielding gas push the air out of the 10-15 feet of hose leading to the nozzle so that the first inches of your weld aren't contaminated.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied
    So what is the benefit of purging?

No, I don't know what I'm doing, But I am learning.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• kenc
    replied
    Yep, of course I turned the feed down to zero, but zero means 60ips (from memory). Wasted about 6" of wire, no bigee I suppose.

Unclamping the feed roller is a good idea but still, why did they remove the purge function?

Sure wish I weren't too busy with other stuff to play with the machine!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X