Converting 220v to 110v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 220v to 110v?

I'm thinking of running my Handler 125 EZ off of the 30amp clothes dryer receptacle near the garage. The reason is that the 15amp circuits in the garage are inadequate. The catch is that the 30 amp receptacle is 220v and the welder takes 110v. Would something like this converter work? http://www.parish-supply.com/electrical-converter.htm

It seems like this would be cheap to make if the hardware store has the adapters. Any ideas?

Buy a 220v welder and make a chord for 25 bucks then you will have alot more versatility.

Comment

Thanks for the tip but I just purchased this welder. I think it's great but I need a more reliable power supply.

Comment

It would probably cost you less to install a new 110v circuit that can handle your welder.
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Funny because I'm having the opposite problem. Got a 230V welder, but no 230V line.

Comment

Want to trade? Haha j/k.

Comment

Maybe put in sub panel with breaker for 220V dryer and another breaker for welder. Could only run one or the other off dryer of 30 amp dryer circuit or both off 50 or 60 amp circuit supplying sub panel. Electrician will know if it needs heavier wires.

How many wires to your dryer outlet? If it has 4 wires easy to get 110V.

Comment

220 has two 110 power wires and a return. Just use one of the power
                wires and the return. Then you have 110V.

Comment

Basically NO. Its fused too high and it would need to be a 4 wire circuit, run a good cord from the washer outlet.
                  http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by KeithP View Post
                    220 has two 110 power wires and a return. Just use one of the power
                    wires and the return. Then you have 110V.
                    Absolutely NO.

230V Single Phase has two hots and a ground, not a "return." If there's not a neutral there is no safe way to achieve 115V from that circuit.
                    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

as constructed in the linked photo it is PERFECTLY fine to use this adaptor with a NEMA 14-30 receptacle which has a neutral.
                      it is limited to 20A on a 30A circuit (you won't pop the breaker) through two 20A breakers on the face.
                      although it comes with a NEMA 10-30 plug, (the 10-30's are not grounded) i'd be wary of how it's wired for ground.

Comment

I am gonna speculate and say this thing doesnt have a UL rating.
                        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards running a new 20amp circuit in the garage. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Comment

Warning, Don't do what I say. I have done it but I do not recommend doing
                            so unless you have full knowledge of the hazards. Electrcity can be very dangerous.
                            If you become the ground path, you might get seriously hurt/or other. Please be
                            carefull. Keith
                            Last edited by KeithP; 10-31-2008, 03:25 AM.

Comment

New Circut

I would just get a new circut!
                              Miller 140 A/S
                              HF Flux Core
                              Dewalt Chop Saw
                              Smith O/A Torch
                              Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X