Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone welding Aluminum with Handler 210?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone welding Aluminum with Handler 210?

Hi all,

I am buying a mig welder either tomorrow or Tues and am almost convinced what I want. First off, it needs to be portable and I want to weld aluminum with it as well as steel.

Though I did a fair amount of stick and mig welding 20 years ago, I have never welded aluminum, and understand that it requires considerably more power to weld than steel.

It seems that the two welders which best fit the portability need are the Hobart Handler 210, or possibly the Millermatic 180.

I've downloaded the owners manuals of both, and comparing the duty cycles of both graphs indicates that the Hobart averages about a 45% longer duty cycle along the entire spectrum.

What amperages do people use to weld 1/4" aluminum with? That would give me a better idea. Has anyone welded aluminum with the HH 210, and if so how did you like it? How about with the MM 180?

One of my buddies says that for aluminum, get the most power you can get.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Jim

I cant help you there but all I know is I tried aluminum for the first time the other week and its hard the weld was running off at first and spiting but some more practice and maybe ill get ok with it
    Dylan

Comment

Mig,

What welder were you using?

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

im using a hh 140
        Dylan

Comment

I need to get some pics of alum, they will be coming shortly as I am still in my busy season but I have done a fair amount of alum with the HH210 and it works. My alum experience is minimal but one of my buds who is a whiz says let me give it a try, he tunes the thing right up and says, "sweet". The machine will do up to the skill level of the operator.
          When I test it on steel which tends to be my primary interest I set it up by the door run about 3 inches and turn it up a thickness setting and bang, right on the money. Its a cant miss.
          Last edited by Sberry; 08-24-2008, 04:02 PM.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Thanks Sberry,

I really appreciate it. How thick was the aluminum you were welding, and did you have the voltage set on 7?

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

I ran it pretty much with the door chart on alu. Worked very well on it. Seems like it was 6/80 or 7/80..something like that.

For 1/4 alu, I would not even consider a 180 class machine. 200 class and up would be what I would consider a 1/4" alu machine. I would say the HH210 is an excellent alu machine.
              Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

I have run my HH210 on some "lunium" and it is like Don said right in line with the door chart..... you did say portable right?....how portable do you need to be as the HH210 is almost 80lbs.....do you have the coin for the Passport Plus and spoolmate100?
                George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
                If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
                Thomas Paine
                Fear is temporary, regret is forever
                HH210 w S.G.
                Victor/Uniweld O/P
                Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

Clampman,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of guys with HH210 experience on this board.

Charles
                  Millermatic Passport Plus
                  Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                  XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
                  Dynasty 300 DX
                  Victor O/A
                  Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Thanks all.

I just called the welding supply house, but they're not open yet. Wanted to check out a few things, like factory authorized service, on the Hobart.

I checked the passport plus, but the duty cycle on the HH210 is much longer, and the extra weight of the 210 should not be that big a deal for another few years, I hope. There is not much difference in price, since the passport spoolgun is $400 cheaper than the one for the Hobart.

I have been on the Miller forum as well as here, and those guys also think highly of the HH210.

I probably won't buy a spool guy for a few months, since my immediate need is welding steel in place.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by clampman View Post
                      Thanks all.

I just called the welding supply house, but they're not open yet. Wanted to check out a few things, like factory authorized service, on the Hobart.

I checked the passport plus, but the duty cycle on the HH210 is much longer, and the extra weight of the 210 should not be that big a deal for another few years, I hope. There is not much difference in price, since the passport spoolgun is $400 cheaper than the one for the Hobart.
                      ??? The spoolgun for the HH210 is only $279.99 to begin with?? How can the Miller gun be $400 CHEAPER??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2227_200362227

Comment

Originally posted by Sully2 View Post
                        ??? The spoolgun for the HH210 is only $279.99 to begin with?? How can the Miller gun be $400 CHEAPER??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2227_200362227
                        The DP 3035-10 is very new to the market and hasn't received much publicity, yet. The previous comparison was probably to the more expensive DP 3035-20.

Yes, there is a low-cost spool gun option (DP 3035-10) available in the Hobart Welding Products product line now designed specifically for use with the Handler 210.

The Handler 210, combined with the low-cost spool gun, offers a total aluminum welding system for a cost, size, and power level not offered by any other machine in the market.
                        Last edited by Hobart Expert Darrell; 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Darrell View Post
                          The DP 3035-10 is very new to the market and hasn't received much publicity, yet. The previous comparison was probably to the more expensive DP 3035-20.

Yes, there is a low-cost spool gun option (DP 3035-10) available in the Hobart Welding Products product line now designed specifically for use with the Handler 210.

The Handler 210, combined with the low-cost spool gun, offers a total aluminum welding system for a cost, size, and power level not offered by any other machine in the market.
                          AHA!! Thats explains it then!

A question if I might Darrell. Instead of using AL wire ( of which my usage would be next to never) can a guy use FC wire in the spoolgun...and if he is running solid wire and gas...just switch to the spool gun ( of course having to change the polarity..but ya have to go inside and "flip the switch to spoolgun anyway") and use the spoolgun in that manner??

Comment

Yes, you can use any kind of wire in the Hobart spool guns. I was assured that when I was field testing them and ran a good bit of solid and a little flux core through mine. It works great. With the 20' gun, it will give you a much better reach if you were working on say a trailer or dump truck...something that wouldn't easily lends itself to moving the machine around inside or outside.
                            Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
                              Yes, you can use any kind of wire in the Hobart spool guns. I was assured that when I was field testing them and ran a good bit of solid and a little flux core through mine. It works great. With the 20' gun, it will give you a much better reach if you were working on say a trailer or dump truck...something that wouldn't easily lends itself to moving the machine around inside or outside.
                              Thats what I was wondering Don. Even though a "Handler" is easy to move around..the added length certainly cant hurt in any way I wouldnt think.

Thanks!

EDIT: ALAS!! The DP 3035-10 model has only a 10 foot length. Still...ability to do a "quick change " would still be handy I tink
                              Last edited by Sully2; 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X