• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTSinDallas
    • May 2008

Beta Mig 200 or HH187 or HH210

Hi,
    I have the chance to buy a 1984 Beta Mig 200 with a full big bottle, big spool of wire and cart with pneumatic wheels, for $500. It is suppose to be in great condition. Or, am I better off going with one of the newer machines? I will be using it mostly for hobby stuff, auto sheet metal repair, some frame fab. Any help would be appreciated. I'm will be learning the mig process, but I have arc welded in the past

Thanks
    RT
    Last edited by RTSinDallas; 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM.
  • calweld
    • Dec 2005

Until somebody here who actually has the expertise and knowledge to answer this question sees it, I suggest you take a little time and do a search thru these boards .... There have been quite a few threads about, and reviews of, the HH187 and HH210. The more you know, the better the decision you can make
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

• RTSinDallas
      • May 2008

Thanks Calweld, I know both the 187 and 210 are good machines at their price point. I don't know how they compare to the Beta Mig head to head. I was hopeing to find out if the Beta Mig 200 with a full bottle of gas, almost full big spool of wire and cart was a better bargain at $500 cash.

Comment

• hankj
        • Jan 2004

For me, spending the money for a new Hobart Handler 210 makes better sense than blowing $500 on a 20-year old machine.

Still, that Betamig 200 is a great machine. I'd want to run it through it's paces first, though.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        MM 210 w/3035, BWE
        HH 210 w/DP 3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
        Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

• Dan
          • Sep 2002

There is a good possibilty that the Beta MIG 200 drive assembly is obsolete. Keeping this in mind the unit would have to be in very good condition, so that it would make me feel somewhat comfortable that drive didn't have a high number of hours on it, before I'd be willing to take the risk on a 20+ year old wire feed.

Performance wise, Hobart most recent Handler units are extremely solid, so the Beta MIG would have to be extremely good to be better then the 187 or HH 210.

Top end power and duty cycle are the two areas where the Beta MIG would have the HH 187 and HH 210 beat. Of course if the wire drive dies and there is no replacement available, this advantage wouldn't exist.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

• Sberry
            • Mar 2003

I agree about being obsolete but you are not spending 500 for a machine, the full bottle and a roll of wire make it about a 100$ or less machine, I would go for it. Probably part it out for x times that, ha, but there isn't much to lose, really makes it about free. Yes, its a complete bargain.
            Last edited by Sberry; 05-26-2008, 10:54 PM.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

• calweld
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
              the full bottle and a roll of wire make it about a 100$ or less machine, I would go for it. ...... Yes, its a complete bargain.
              IF the wire is a fresh roll (no rust), and IF the bottle is an ownership bottle.
              *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

• Brand X
                • Feb 2004

I would go with the 200 myself. Nice machine and much more powerful then a MM-210
                Esab 2200 AC/DC
                Thermal 211i
                Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                Smith O/A plus mini torch
                Smith machine torch
                LN-25 pro
                LF-72 feeder
                Edwards 65 ton
                5X10 CNC table
                Victor A-120
                Miller Shopmate 300DX
                S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• RTSinDallas
                  • May 2008

Thanks Guys, for all the input. I couldn't reach the seller this afternoon, but if he still has it, I'll pull the trigger. If it's gone I'll look to pick up a HH187 or HH210.

Thanks again
                  RT

Comment

• Sberry
                    • Mar 2003

Thoroughbred will likely take the bottle on exchange at TSC stores.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

• RTSinDallas
                      • May 2008

The seller contacted me, and it's still available. I'm new to mig welding. What should I look for? Is there a way to tell if the drive is worn ?

Thanks
                      RT

Comment

• Dan
                        • Sep 2002

If I remember correctly, the 200 has 27 voltage tap selections. These tap selections aren't 27 choices on one selector switch. Instead, You have two differenet switches. One selector offers you 3 coarse ranges, and the other offers you 9 fine range. So what I am getting at is to make sure that the unit produces out put in all ranges. I don't necessarly feel this means you need to test all 27 taps. I would test all 9 fine selections though maybe with the coarse set to the lower range selection. Then at least check that there is output, in the medium and high coarse range too.

Check to make sure the wire speed pot works correctly too. Meaning the motor speed continues to increase as you turn the dial in the direction that should make it increase.

Grab the lower drive roll and see if you feel any side to side play. There is normally a little end play so I wouldn't be too concerned about a slight amount.
                        Last edited by Dan; 05-27-2008, 09:00 PM.
                        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

• RTSinDallas
                          • May 2008

Thanks for the good info. I'll try to test everything out. How do I find out who own the bottle?

Thanks
                          RT

Comment

• hooohaa2
                            • Jan 2005

I looked at the welder you're talking about. I was even going to work a trade with him. I decided against it though, I would rather save up a bit more and buy a newer 210 or 251 rather than spending that much on a 20 year old welder.
                            "little" HH140

Comment

• crawler
                              • Jul 2006

Will send PM to RTS
                              Last edited by crawler; 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: PM instead
                              Millermatic Passport Plus
                              Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                              XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
                              Dynasty 300 DX
                              Victor O/A
                              Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X