Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH210 running on a generator

Hi all,
    I respect that this is a Hobart forum, but permit me to slip in a Miller question since they come from the same universe. I am very close to being ready to purchase an MM180. I intend to power it from a Generac Power Horse 5,500watt run, 8,500 surge generator that has a 230V outlet w/ a 30A breaker.

Looking at the specs, the HH210 seems to have just a little more umph, although I've never compared them (actual welding) side by side. I'm trying to buy the most and best MIG, of a reputable brand that this generator will comfortably run.

First question: Anybody have an opinion about the HH210 running off this generator at rated output.

Second question: Are the MM180 and HH210 apples and apples? Or are the HH187 and MM180 a better comparison?

At the rated output of the Handler 210, the 5500W generator should perform OK. At rated output, the H210 is pulling about 4.7kW off the line if my memory serves me well. You can pull the product spec sheets off the Products section of this site. The ratings are listed for input and output. Keep in mind, the Handler 210 has a lot of headroom over its rated output of 150A. It's maximum welding output is 210 amps, which will begin to push the 5500W generator. As long as you keep around the rated load, you should be fine. I'm not familiar with Generac's surge rating as to how long it can hold a load over its rated load.

As far as comparing the Handler 210 to a Miller (or Lincoln) product, there's no direct comparison for a machine of this size. The output power of the Handler 210 would be more closely compared to the Miller DVI or the IronMan 210.

The Handler 187 and the Millermatic 180 are of a similar product class.

Darrell

Comment

During the field test phase, I ran the HH210 from a Coleman Powermate 5KW genny with no problems. I did not, however, run it full-tilt, as I didn't have any heavy steel around at the time.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

That's good news from both of you fine fellows. Thanks.
        Hankj do you think you were at least running it at rated output which is 150Amps?
        tonyrico

Comment

So keep in mind that the "rated" output of the HH210 is still less than the full-tilt output of the HH187. So keeping in your generator's abilities, the only real advantages of the HH210 over the HH187 are the duty cycle and the spoolgun hookup. The HH187 will save you a little weight and give you a SLIGHTLY better tap selection.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyrico View Post
            Hankj do you think you were at least running it at rated output which is 150Amps?
            tonyrico
            Sorry, Tony, but I can't say. I was welding 3/16" x 2" angle, but I don't recall the settings.

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            MM 210 w/3035, BWE
            HH 210 w/DP 3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
            Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Working...
            X