Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Spool Rewinding Machine...

Hey Guys,
    This is a post for those of you who have a spoolgun MIG and those who use a lot of 2# or 11# spools of wire. I made this spool winder from a Star M-200 Window Shade Cutter I got at a hardware store auction a couple years ago. I stripped off all the elaborate accessories and attachments to get down to the basic low rpm cog-belt drive assembly. Attached it to a 24 X 21 1/2" X 1/8" steel plate from work, and welded (5) 3 1/2" legs for support & stability. Then cut (2) pieces of 1 1/2" sq. tube and removed 2" of the diagonal for the top to allow the pipe to rest on. Since there are only 5 photos are allowed per post, it will take (3) posts to complete... please allow me to post without a response until I get all the photos on.

Photo 1)... Basic unit stripped and reconfigured for spoolwinding.
    2)... Thru-shaft is a piece of 1 1/2" tube with a length of 3/4" allthread welded on.
    3)... Install empty spool.
    4)... 44# spool of .030 ER70S-6 loaded onto pipe & supports.
    5)... Manually winding 8 turns of wire to start so there is no wire slippage.
    6)... Spool is 3/4 filled.
    7)... Spool is full. Notice the silver bushing & hex bolt on the front. This is the on/off pressure switch reconfiguration I had to modify to simply twist the bolt to start/stop.
    8)... Wire cut & tied off. One IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!....be sure to maintain control of BOTH ENDS of wire when cutting....OR ELSE!!!! You know what will happen.....
    9)... Spool tagged with wire size & grade.
    10)... Both Aluminum & steel spools refilled.
    11)... My spool rack. Each spool nicely fits in a ziploc sandwich bag to keep clean.

Hope this may give some of you an idea to make a spool winder if you use a lot of 2# or 11# spools of wire......Denny

Going to next post....
    Complete weld/mach./fab shop
    Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Group 2...
    Mobile unit

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Group 3...
      Mobile unit

Comment

Great post, just what I was looking for! I am in the process of building a wire transfer machine myself. I was given 1200lbs of 5/64 fluxcore wire on 60lb coils that I want to transfer to 33lb spools so I can use it in my 12RC. It would also save a ton using larger spools of alum to fill those one pounders. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Great idea. Nice way to reclaim a piece of equipment.

A few questions if you don't mind...
          What would you estimate the take up rpm to be?
          Do you have to "lead" the wire so it travels backand forth as it fills the spool?
          What is the centerline dimension between the feed and take up spools?

I have the works from inside a sliding entry door operator (think, Wal-Mart). There's a 12vdc motor with a right angle gear reduction drive that might work for this idea.

Thank you.
          There are no small projects

Comment

Great idea!
            Have you experienced any feeding problems due to irregularly wound layers?
            SA200,Ranger8,Trailblazer251NT,MM250,Dayton225AC,T D-XL75,SpoolMate3545
            SGA100C,HF-15-1 RFCS-14 100% portable

Comment

Hey guys,
              Thanks for the compliments. An additional note I forgot to insert was that I once considered using an extremely large, I mean EXTREMELY LARGE, fishing reel that has the guide winding feature. It would have to be modified with some serious modifications, but I think someone with some mechanical ingenuity could do it.

TO imagineer:
              I have a rheostat set to have the spool turning at approx. 350rpm.

Yes, I lead the wire on the spool while holding a piece of scotchbrite between my finger & thumb to de-oxidize the wire, and quite simply rock my wrist evenly to feed the wire on the spool. You would be surprised how effective it can be and is not hard to do.

The C/L dimension between the spools is 17" on my setup.

TO mooseye:
              No, I have never had a problem with the slight unevenness of the layers. As I replied to imagineer, I maintain a gentle pressure to keep the wire tight and a steady rocking of my wrist and the wire feeds quite nicely....it does take some practice, but quite easy....Denny
              Mobile unit

Comment

I think I read the other day, that scotchbright uses aluminum oxide as an abrasive. You may be pre-contaminating your wire!

I'm pretty sure they recomended sand paper, and disallowed scotchbright and emory cloth.
                SA200,Ranger8,Trailblazer251NT,MM250,Dayton225AC,T D-XL75,SpoolMate3545
                SGA100C,HF-15-1 RFCS-14 100% portable

Comment

I wind my own 4" spools also. Never had a problem with the uneven layers either. But i have found that i can spread the plastic spools out of shape with my winding and some don't fit on my spoolgun. Now when i wind them i use some home made 4" washers to hold the sides in...Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I use back gear, real slow. I should have posted that. Thanks...Bob
                  Last edited by aametalmaster; 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM.
                  Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                  Metal Master Fab
                  Salem, Ohio
                  Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                  http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

What rpm are you using on that lathe?

Comment

I use back gear, real slow. I should have posted that. Thanks...Bob
                      Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                      Metal Master Fab
                      Salem, Ohio
                      Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                      http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Drill Press

I always thought using my drill press might work. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The slowest speed i have is 250 rpm. Do you think that would be too fast?

Comment

That's a nice machine you did there Yorkiepap. Did a good job on it.

556man

Comment

It would be pretty straight forward to add a wire lead system. Make something like a windshield wiper system where the wire would be on the blade side. The linkage must be driven by the same motor as the spindle to keep everything synced up. The rate and width of winding would be controled by moving the pivots. It would take some testing but it would work.

Comment

Working...
                            X