Short circuit or globular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short circuit or globular?

Have a question for the mig experts out there. I am interested in opinions of what type of metal transfer is taking place under the following settings: 24V, 460 ipm wire speed, .035 Superarc wire, 75/25 gas mix. Machine is an ESAB 250 inverter multiprocess. A coworker says that you can't have short circuit above 22 volts ( he got that info from a mig video). It appears to me that its a high end short circuit transfer, can't see large droplets and there's no excessive spatter. Opinions?

Jerryo,

I tend to agree that you're at the "upper limits" for short circuit transfer. In fact, on my MM251, the upper limit shown on the parameter chart for .035 wire is 23.5v/475ipm. When you go into globular transfer, I think you'll know it from the increased splatter.

Also, I think, your use of C25 covering gas is a factor in preventing your welder from going to globular transfer.

Heck, just for giggles, why not try increasing your volts to 25 or so and keep increasing your ws until it goes into globular transfer. Then you'd be able to show your buddy the difference.

Just my .02.
    SundownIII

Syncrowave 250DX, Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX w/CM 3
    MM 251 w/30 A SG
    HH 187 Mig
    XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Pulser
    Dialarc 250 w/HF 15-1
    Hypertherm PM 1250 Plasma
    Victor, Harris, and Smith O/A
    PC Dry Cut Saw and (just added) Wilton (7x12) BS
    Mil Mod 6370-21 Metal Cut Saw
    More grinders than hands (Makita & Dewalt)
    Grizzly 6"x48" Belt Sander
    Access to full fab shop w/CNC Plasma & Waterjet
    Gas mixers (Smith(2) and Thermco)
    Miller BWE and BWE Dig

Comment

Working...
    X