Mig welder will not make bead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig welder will not make bead

I have a linde 225 Migmaster welder. For some reason, when I try to weld, the arc spitters and stops but I can not make a bead. If I turn up the heat, or try it for more than a few seconds, the wire glows red hot from tip up into the gun then sticks. I think the only thing that has changed is that I got a new gas cylinder. I would appreciate any advice possible.

Thanks

Kurt

Any chance you got a bad cylinder of shielding gas? I know it is rare, but does happen from time to time.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Check for any poor electrical connections on your work lead or on the gun lead assembly side.

Might be time for a new contact tip.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

wire melts

This is a classic problem. the power cable is not attached to the gun tube so the weld wire must carry the current form the drive roll to the work and can't do it . Take the gun apart and see if the cable connections are intact.
        O.F.

Comment

Thanks for the input, still need help

Sorry for my slow response but I did get back to the welder last night. Your description of thw wire carring the current sounds dead on. I could not find a loose or poor cable connection within the gun. I should have mentioned that I have the same situation when I use a spool gun off the welder. I cleaned/checked the ground connections within the welder. I did find a loose power connection at the heat selector switch and cleaned it, but still had the problem last night. Should I try cleaning all of the big power connections within the welder or are there any obvious other areas. Thanks for the help.

Comment

is the ground lead hot????

Comment

Whoops

Man did I read this post wrong. I thought it said Mig will not make BREAD. I thought you were going to brag on all the features your welder has.

Can’t help with a solution.
              Robert

Snap-on (Century) 110 Mig
              Ridgid Chop Saw
              Makita 4" Grinder
              Quite a collection of scrap

Functional Stuff is painted, my art rusts.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. - Winston Chruchill

Comment

The next place to look is the contactor points. Take the cover off and watch the contacts while trying to weld, if no sparking or glowing at the contacts then they are ok. Weird things happen if the gun trigger wire touches the main power cable in gun. Try removing the gun and running the spool gun. If it still wont work test the diodes. Disconnect each one and check with a meter.
                Good luck.
                O.F.
                Last edited by old fart; 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM. Reason: change in procedure

Comment

How well does it work if you don't make contact with metal? and try moving the grip
                  Your problem sounds too easy, I would say bad gas or feed problems
                  Jim
                  Millermatic 200
                  Hobart Handler 120
                  Black & Decker 14" chopsaw
                  Dewalt 14" chopsaw
                  And a serious big old Wells bandsaw
                  F-550 pick-up

Comment

Sounds like a wire feed problem to me.
                    Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Think I had/have a couple problems

I retried the spool gun now that I improved the connections on the ground lead and one power connection. It seams to work fine now. The mig gun is still burning back but I think it is a feed problem. I noticed the wire sticking ocasionally just running the spool without welding. I am going to try a new liner if I can get one for an old Linde/esab MT 200 gun.

Thanks for all the help.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                      X