Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whateg0 View Post
    why???
    One post, going on two years ago... bet you don't get an answer to that one.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I wonder how I ended up on this thread, seeing now that it's a tad bit old.

Okay, never mind. :shrug:

Dave
      Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
      http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
      http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
      MM180
      SP125+

Comment

New here. Just did a search and found I'm not the only one with this problem.

I plug my welder in and it hums, with the power off. I figured it was a stuck relay. If I have wire exposed, and a piece of metal ground, the wire will spark if touched to the metal.

But, I have been welding with it that way for some time. It works fine, but it's annoying to have to unplug it all the time and also when the wire sparks before I pull the trigger.

Basically, the wire is always 'hot'. And has power even if the switch is off (won't feed wire though).

I'm running flux core. So basically do I need a board? Or can I replace a relay?

Thanks for the help. Glad to have this board!

waytegO- Your truck is amazing!
        Last edited by Beau; 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM.
        Nothing like the smell of burned metal in the morning.

Comment

Contact tech support, and explain the problem. If you are comfortable working on circuit boards, they may just give you a part number. They are great and stand behind the machine no matter how old they are.

1-800-332-3281 (for Technical Service & Warranty)
          1-800-626-9420 (for Customer Service)
          Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
          Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
          IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
          IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

Thank you Rocky!

Is there an email as an alternative? Or do I just have to sit on hold waiting for someone to answer?

Comment

You can call 1-800-332-3281 or e-mail me kmcquo@hobartwelders.com

Keith

Comment

It sounds like the contactor is always in the closed position since the gun is still controlling the wire feed motor. The contactor could be stuck closed electrically or mechanically. The only way to tell is unplug the machine and look at it. Then test with a continuity tester / simple voltmeter.
                Some low end machines actually are designed without a contactor, but for under $20 you can add in a surplus contactor.

EDIT: I forget which side of the transformer the contactor is on. I think it is on the output side. With the machine unplugged from the wall check for continuity between the gun wire and the ground clamp. Also check for continuity for the 120v wall plug side between the 120v pin and neutral pin. If both have continuity then the contactor is stuck closed.
                Last edited by junkweld; 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Can someone point out which relay this is so I can solder in a new one?
                  Last edited by Beau; 01-31-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The relay with the designator CR1.

Comment

Im having the same exact issue with a hobart 125 . What is the cure for this madness end of the day ?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Veskoalekaov View Post
                        Im having the same exact issue with a hobart 125 . What is the cure for this madness end of the day ?

thanks
                        A reading of the whole thread?

Comment

Working...
                        X