DialArc 250 HF used for Mig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DialArc 250 HF used for Mig?

Does anyone know if a dialarc 250, or similar welder can be used with a spoolgun or wire feeder for Mig? Has anyone done this, and what were your results?

Originally posted by wilt6496 View Post
    Does anyone know if a dialarc 250, or similar welder can be used with a spoolgun or wire feeder for Mig? Has anyone done this, and what were your results?
    I suppose you could run a voltage-sensing wire feeder off of a CC stationary welder, since you can do it off of an engine drive, but no spoolgun.

Voltage sensing wire feeders like Miller's Suitcase 8/12VS series run about $1500. A MIG welder could be cheaper, depending on your needs.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I think you may connect a spoolgun to a machine such as this with a contact adaptor. Maybe a SGA 100 or 100C by Miller.
      You can find this information on their website:http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
      SA200,Ranger8,Trailblazer251NT,MM250,Dayton225AC,T D-XL75,SpoolMate3545
      SGA100C,HF-15-1 RFCS-14 100% portable

Comment

Originally posted by mooseye View Post
        I think you may connect a spoolgun to a machine such as this with a contact adaptor. Maybe a SGA 100 or 100C by Miller.
        You can find this information on their website:http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
        What good would it do? The SGA only controls the wire speed. It won't do anything about the CC power supply. It's virtually impossible to MIG weld with a drooper. You need CV.

Hank
        MM 210 w/3035, BWE
        HH 210 w/DP 3035
        TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
          What good would it do? The SGA only controls the wire speed. It won't do anything about the CC power supply. It's virtually impossible to MIG weld with a drooper. You need CV.

Hank
          I stand corrected! That CV thing again.
          SA200,Ranger8,Trailblazer251NT,MM250,Dayton225AC,T D-XL75,SpoolMate3545
          SGA100C,HF-15-1 RFCS-14 100% portable

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post

Hank
            For it being virtually impossible, I never seemed to have any trouble with it. Probably got a couple hundred hours running spoolguns off of a Dialarc HF.

Here's the unit I was stuck with at my last station. The box on top of the welder is the spoolgun control box. Hook up the power cable and gas and you're good to go. The control box has the voltage sensing lead attached to it. I've even run it remotely 200' from the welder, just took alot of cable and gas line.

Pretty sure Miller doesn't make the control box anymore, if they do, getting one will probably cost as much as getting a dedicated MIG setup. Might get lucky on ebay or something.

At some point in the past, the military must have bought thousands of the Dialarc HF units, I've had one at every unit I've been sent to. They are getting a bit dated tho and add ons are getting expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by kwrangln View Post
              For it being virtually impossible, I never seemed to have any trouble with it. Probably got a couple hundred hours running spoolguns off of a Dialarc HF.

Here's the unit I was stuck with at my last station. The box on top of the welder is the spoolgun control box. Hook up the power cable and gas and you're good to go. The control box has the voltage sensing lead attached to it. I've even run it remotely 200' from the welder, just took alot of cable and gas line.

Pretty sure Miller doesn't make the control box anymore, if they do, getting one will probably cost as much as getting a dedicated MIG setup. Might get lucky on ebay or something.

At some point in the past, the military must have bought thousands of the Dialarc HF units, I've had one at every unit I've been sent to. They are getting a bit dated tho and add ons are getting expensive.
              Yup. Like I said in my first post, "voltage sensing " feeder. Same for a voltage sensing spoolgun controller.

Try disconnecting the sensing lead, and see how it goes....

Hank
              MM 210 w/3035, BWE
              HH 210 w/DP 3035
              TA185TSW

Comment

AHA, I see now that I origionally misread your post. I took it to mean that the machine wasn't going to work for any MIG setup. No, it will not work without the VS hooked up, doesn't do a thing. Reading comprehension isn't my strong point today, I'm blaming the wicked hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by kwrangln View Post
                  ........ I'm blaming the wicked hangover.
                  I can help!

In an 8-oz. tumbler, place:

Juice of 1/2 lime.
                  Dash celery seed.
                  Generous splash Tabasco.
                  Worcestershire to taste.
                  3/4 tsp. good quality prepared horseradish.
                  Dash salt and black pepper.
                  2-0z Vodka.
                  Fill 3/4 of the way with ice.
                  Add V-8 juice, stir, sip, and be well!

Hank
                  MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                  HH 210 w/DP 3035
                  TA185TSW

Comment