hobart handler 175 wire feed issue help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobart handler 175 wire feed issue help

I recently bought a used hobart handler 175 wire feed , What happens is the feed motor starts , runs for a couple seconds and then completly stops , I found another motor , but that did not fix , the problem , I dont want to buy a whole new cicuit board if maybe i a, barking up the wrong tree any ideas? from the xformer to the capacitor there is 24 volts , right to the circuit board but while holding down the trigger the motor stops getting its voltage , with voltage still being present at the board any ideas, maybe just one of the relay i think, which one / there are 3 , any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

motor stops.

I'm afraid it is the board. Check the serial # I beleve there is a 3 year warranty on these things. If it is out of warranty the board could be repaired by a company called Innovat 800-626-1887. They can give you a price on fixing.

Comment

The component on the p.c. board that is causing your problem is PTC1. This is the flat (usually yellow) component located between the heat sink HS1 and RC2 in the middle of the board. It sounds as though this thermister has gone bad.

If you feel comfortable with troubleshooting, you can verify that the PTC is the culprit by applying a jumper across it. This will allow the motor to operate. The PTC is basically a solid-state fuse. These can be ordered on the Internet through a source such as Digi-Key (www.digi-key.com).

First and foremost, make sure that you apply proper safety practices prior to opening the machine. Unplug the Handler 175 to completely remove power from it to prevent a shock hazard.

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Darrell View Post
        The component on the p.c. board that is causing your problem is PTC1. This is the flat (usually yellow) component located between the heat sink HS1 and RC2 in the middle of the board. It sounds as though this thermister has gone bad.

If you feel comfortable with troubleshooting, you can verify that the PTC is the culprit by applying a jumper across it. This will allow the motor to operate. The PTC is basically a solid-state fuse. These can be ordered on the Internet through a source such as Digi-Key (www.digi-key.com).

First and foremost, make sure that you apply proper safety practices prior to opening the machine. Unplug the Handler 175 to completely remove power from it to prevent a shock hazard.

Darrell
        This part can also be ordered through our technical support for a few bucks. Just call 800-332-3281 and tell them that you need PTC1 for the Handler 175 board.

Comment

I don't even own a Hobart - but posts like this impress the he77 out of me. I'm in the customer service business and I'll just say that Hobart goes waaay beyond the norm to support the customer.

Darrell - my hat's off to you and Hobart

(BTW - I will have a Hobart - just trying to find a good deal on a 187 or 210 here in Canada - TSC doesn't seem to carry the 187 in my neck of the woods and all the LWS want to sell me a Miller from stock)

Big_Eddy
          Bobcat 225G
          Maxstar 150STL
          Lincoln Migpak 10 (just occupying space until a Hobart arrives!)

Comment

Working...
          X