Millermatuc 175 vs HH187

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatuc 175 vs HH187

I am new to mig welding and will be primarily welding 20 gauge sheet metal.
    I am considering buying a used M175 vs HH187 because of the savings. What would be advantages and disadvantages? I want to go to a 220 volt machine to allow me to weld thicker metal if I should ever have the need.

The 187 is most definitely the better of the two, and it isn't even a close contest. The MM 175 is a nightmare to deal with, when it comes to tune in the arc properly. The MM 175 is very finnicky in the area of arc starts.The top end performance on the MM 175 is pretty rough too, meaning the arc is harsh, the weld puddle doesn't wet out very well, and there is quite a bit of spatter.

In contrast, the HH 187, depending on your skilll level, can be quite simple to dial a very solid arc in on. No matter your skill level though, between these two units, the HH 187 will always be the much easier unit to dial a solid arc in on. As long as you have the unit set up properly , and the voltage to wire speed ratio dialed in reasonably to the right proportion, poor arc starts from the HH 187 should never be an issue. Once again as long as you have it tuned in properly , and are running a good wire, you should never experience harsh arc characteristic from the HH 187. The HH187 produces a very smooth consistent arc through out all 7 voltage taps. Weld puddle wetout on the top end is very good, and the spatter level is extremely low for the out put power level that the top end is capable of producing.

I can honestly state, 10 out of 10 times, I would without hesitation choose the HH 187 over the MM 175.

BTW, I have quite a few hours put in on both units.
    Last edited by Dan; 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

If cost is a factor, you might consider the HH187 refurb from www.toolking.com
      Last time I checked, it was less than $530 delivered.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500525a.aspx
      Millermatic Passport Plus
      Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
      XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
      Dynasty 300 DX
      Victor O/A
      Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Dan, My MM180 is also finniky on the starts...Even worse when im on thin gauge. Once its going, its beautiful...Lotta spatter on top end too...

Comment

when i get enogh I `am thnoking about buying one uf those hobart recon. plasma cutters . Thanks crawler for the link
          Hobart Hood
          Lincoln 3200 HD
          Harris Port-A-Torch

The REDNECK Inferno Forge
          110lb. Anvil
          A Few Hammers
          lil` Clarke Bandsaw
          Git-R-Done Thanks, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by wireburner View Post
            when i get enogh I `am thnoking about buying one uf those hobart recon. plasma cutters . Thanks crawler for the link
            You're welcome Wireburner. Toolking will sometimes run out of these recons. You just have to wait until they get more in stock.
            Millermatic Passport Plus
            Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
            XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
            Dynasty 300 DX
            Victor O/A
            Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

I going to start saving for the airforce 250ci
              Hobart Hood
              Lincoln 3200 HD
              Harris Port-A-Torch

The REDNECK Inferno Forge
              110lb. Anvil
              A Few Hammers
              lil` Clarke Bandsaw
              Git-R-Done Thanks, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by TOMWELDS2 View Post
                Dan, My MM180 is also finniky on the starts...Even worse when im on thin gauge. Once its going, its beautiful...Lotta spatter on top end too...
                Tom,

I field tested a MM 180 for at least 6 months, and I experienced no arc starting issues from the unit. Matter of fact, I felt its solid arc starts were one of it strong points. In my experience, the unit fired off a solid arc start everytime, when holding a stick out in the 1/4" - 1/2" range, even when the base metal had a light coating of soot on it.

Compared to the results the HH 187 produces, the top end spatter level could definitely be considered on the high side. Still though, the top end arc, and weld puddle wet out are definitely better on the MM 180, then they are on the MM 175.

To me, set up with an .030 solid wire ( HB-28 or Radnor) and C-25, the MM 180 is a real nice 1/8" or .120 wall tube unit. I tried L-56 on the unit, and the results was very unsatifactory. Now that I think about it, with L-56 the unit did have some minor arc starting issues.
                MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
                X