Hh210 Vs. Hh187

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hh210 Vs. Hh187

Can i get some guys to chime in on this one? What are the pro's and cons of both of these welders. Is the 210 worth the extra money over the 187? The 210 will weld a 1/16 thicker but is it worth the difference in price? I own a 230 amp ac arc welder so I guess I could do thicker with that. I am selling my hh140 so I need to replace it with a bigger one I have done projects where I just maxed out the hh140 with .030 wire and c25. I dont want to have to switch to thicker wire all the time to do thicker material. The 140 did 1/8 and up great with fluxcore but I like the gas way better. I like the convienience of a bigger welder to do thin sheet metal all the way up to 1/4 or larger.
    HH 140
    Hobart stickmate ac/dc
    Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp
    1950's Craftsman drillpress

Go as big as you can afford. You can always turn down the HH210, but you can't turn up the HH187 above max. I always seem to outgrow welders. I buy a 135 mig and immediately need a 175. So, I get a 210 and need a 250 a little later. Now I have a TB which is a 325 class wire capacity. So far so good.

I have the HH210 and have been using it for over a year now. I am extremely happy with the way it welds and wouldn't trade it for a 187 any day. The 210 is spoolgun ready right out of the box if that intrests you at all. The alu action with it is extremely nice as is steel.

I say get the HH210, but then I am very biased.
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

I've never had the opportunity to run a HH187, but from the reports of those who have, it runs pretty sweet everyehere in it's range.

I do have a HH210 that I field tested, and I like that machine very much. It has a slightly better arc start cpability and a slightly smoother arc than my MM 210, and I'd recommend it to any hobbyist in a heartbeat. It lacks a little duty cycle for high-end, production type work, bu then that is not the target market, either!

If you can afford it, you'll never be sorry for going with the HH210.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
        Go as big as you can afford. You can always turn down the HH210, but you can't turn up the HH187 above max.
        Exactly. Not often do you see someone wanting to trade their 230v welders for a 110v unit. Also, running your welder at max or near max output all the time will equal shorter life.
        Millermatic Passport Plus
        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
        Dynasty 300 DX
        Victor O/A
        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

I think they are basically the same machine but the 210 is spool gun ready. Either one of them are good.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

My brother is asking the same question, so I pondered on it today.

One big thing to decide (to me) is whether or not you want to do aluminum. If so, then HH210, because by the time you buy a connector box to spool gun the 187, the difference makes up for the cost. Plus, as they have said, you can always turn down the big welder.

If I had no welders today, I would buy the HH210, because I want the flexibility to do Aluminum. As it is, I bought an AC/DC TIG first, then the 187. I love the 187, but I could have bought the HH210 in lieu of the TIG and 187 and saved about 1 grand to buy a bad-@$$ bandsaw, which I could use right now.

Definitely, the 187 and 210 kick butt over anything else when looking at performance and value. You can't go wrong with either one.

RB
            HH 187
            HH 210
            Thermal Arc ProWave 185TSW
            Hypertherm 600

Comment

WFS tracking

The hh187 has wire feed speed tracking and the hh210 does not.I've heard alot of people say they don't like wfs tracking.

Comment

Yeah, that is true, but the WST will work like it is supposed to with a tapped machine. It won't hurt you as bad as it will on a continuous voltage machine. So, if the 187 is all you can get, I wouldn't let the WST stop me.....I still say get the 210, though.
                Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah I figure I should get the 210,so then I won't have the urge to go bigger if I were to go with the 187. It costs more in the end but i figure if I ever want to go to a spool gun it will be easy.
                  HH 140
                  Hobart stickmate ac/dc
                  Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp
                  1950's Craftsman drillpress

Comment

What gauge extension cord would you need for the 210?

Comment

I just made an extension cord for my IM250. Its 45 feet long and it's 6 guage. The cost, $206.00. You could probably go with 8 guage at 20 feet long. It would be cheaper.

Comment

I use mine with a 8ga 35 footer. It really doesn't pull much juice. As long as you don't get too long, you could probably get by with a smaller gauge.
                        Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

can someone fill me in on the WFS tracking. Is WFS tracking?, if you set the machine for 300 ipm and the wire encounters some resistance, instead of the wfs dropping to maybe 250 ipm, that machine kicks up the wfs to compensate and keep the wfs at 300 ipm. So is that what the WFS tracking does or am I totally wrong?
                          PowerMig 215
                          Precision Tig 225
                          Old Buzz Box

Hypertherm 600
                          HH 125 EZ
                          MM 350P
                          TB 302 w/ 12RC

Originally posted by scab
                          If you are the type of person who gets upset at things breaking brace yourself for possible dissappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
                            can someone fill me in on the WFS tracking. Is WFS tracking?, if you set the machine for 300 ipm and the wire encounters some resistance, instead of the wfs dropping to maybe 250 ipm, that machine kicks up the wfs to compensate and keep the wfs at 300 ipm. So is that what the WFS tracking does or am I totally wrong?
                            The scenario that you present in this example would be an example of a closed-loop control for maintaining a constant speed rate. With this type of control, the motor would maintain a constant speed no matter what else is happening in the system.

There's a lot of misconceptions about wire feed speed tracking. It's actually pretty simple.

Basically, with WFS tracking, the wire feed motor responds to changes in arc voltage. It helps to maintain a more consistent arc length.

As the arc length shortens and voltage decreases, the motor slows down slightly. This prevents the wire from stubbing into the puddle. Conversely, as the arc length lengthens and the voltage increases, the motor speeds up slightly. These changes in speed are very subtle.

As mentioned, the negative perception of wire feed speed tracking came to light when it was employed on a machine with infinite voltage control. When the voltage control was adjusted, the wire feed speed would change accordingly and would sometimes cause a need to readjust the WFS. The interaction between the controls added a step in the adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by reidl View Post
                              What gauge extension cord would you need for the 210?
                              I PURCHASED an 8 gauge- 25 foot premade cord from Sunshine just prior to his passing away. He had barely used it ( looked in perfect shape) because he told me he had made up a 50 foot-10 gauge cord for use at home. So since he had more ( a LOT more) than some minmum amount of welding experience...Id have to say a 10 gauge would do a guy just fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X