187 Won't Stop Feeding!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 187 Won't Stop Feeding!

I just came in from the garage a few minutes ago where I was welding on my Mustang. I was already a little unhappy because I seem to have a gas leak that I can't track down. It doesn't seem to be anywhere external, possibly bad gauges? I have had this problem since I got it a few months back but I hadn't taped the threads yet. I taped them today but the leak is still there. Well, this was annoying but turned out to be the least of my problems. I figured I'd weld anyway, just lose a little gas, no big deal. So I welded a bit, let it cool and then came back for the second round. I welded the section and was finished so I pulled off the trigger but it kept welding. I pulled wire out of contact with the metal and the wire just kept feeding without any trigger pull. I turned the machine off thinking it would kick itself back out(I don't know much about electronics) then turned it back on to find that it was still feeding on its own. So, if my machine is on, the wire is feeding. I never tried changing the wfs because I figured it would just change the speed and not solve my problem. So, any ideas?
    Grant

Easy to check...the trigger circuit is only two wires...check if they are touching either at the gun or at the machine. Take the gun apart to check...it part of being a weldor. Gas leak...check to find the leak with a squirt bottle filled with water and a little liquid soap
    Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
    IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

Thanks Rocky, I'll check the wires. I did check them at the machine, but not at the gun. I already used the water/soap method and found nothing but I think I'll try again.
      Grant

Comment

Your trigger switch is probably stuck in the closed position. Once it starts doing that, it's time to replace it. They are pretty easy to replace and your LWS will likely have one in stock. Seems I spent a little over $20 for a new trigger switch when I had to replace one for the HH180 I used to have before I upgraded to a HH187.

- BDC
        HH187, TA 185 AC/DC Arcmaster, Hypertherm Powermax 380 Plasma
        Smithy 1220 LX Lathe
        Peter Wright 132 (198lbs) anvil
        Hoods: Jackson Nexgen and Hobart/Miller XLi
        Victor compatible med duty OA setup
        Chop Saw, 4x6 Band Saw

Comment

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I disassemble the gun? I haven't had the machine long and I am still unfamiliar with it. I can't believe I have to buy a new part for it already as this is only the 2nd time I've welded with it. I guess thats what I get for buying a reconditioned unit. Oh well, $20 isn't the end of the world.
          Grant

Comment

On a couple of occasions I've gotten slag B-B's or crud in along side of the trigger mechanism from overhead. Something to check on. A litte tapping and some air cleaned mine right out.

Check the gas feed line somewhere just beyond the solenoid too. Make sure the solenoid is closing completely. Could be someone let some crud pass on into the solenoid seating surface or a plastic shaving slipped in there.

Comment

I found the problem. I disassembled the gun and found that one of the trigger wires had worn on a connector causing it to cut it and bare it in a very small spot. I just wrapped a small portion of each wire with some electrical tape and that was it, my welder is back! I am still trying to track down the gas leak but that is not nearly as much of an issue to me. Thanks to all those who replied.
              Grant

Comment

Grant,

The way to find the gas leak is with soapy water on all of the external fittings. No bubbles = internal problems. A suspected culprit is the solenoid. There have been a spate of defective ones of late. It's a warranty covered item, and if you discover that the solenoid is your problem, a call to tech support will probably get you one in the mail the same day.

It's an easy fix. Swap out the solenoids and weld on!

Hank
                ...from the Gadget Garage
                MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                HH 210 w/DP 3035
                TA185TSW
                Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Testing with soapy water isn't as easy as it sounds...sometimes the mixture isn't just right, or the gas is coming out so fast, it will miss leak...I use a cheapo 1" brush and hold the soap solution around each joint, for a second or two, in the gas chain. Run your hand down the hose, too, there maybe a break in the middle of the hose somewhere. If you are losing gas, you can be sucking in air.
                  Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
                  Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
                  IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
                  IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

I use a 'heavy' dish soap mix .... little water, just enough to let it 'run' around the joint. I like it to 'hang' on the joint a while, sometimes it takes a while for the bubbles to show up, especially on a slow leak.

Had a leak issue on an air recevier, got tired of searching for it so I poured straight dish soap over all the joints. Not long after I saw a pile of bubbles building up and found the leak. The tank was outside, has no electrical parts and was easy to wash down.

If the solution is too diluted it may well run off before you get bubbles.

Of course you could always get some commercial leak detector, one name I recall was " SNOOP ".

Comment

If you put kids bubble stuff in a little squirt bottle it works as good as snoop.

Comment

Working...
                      X