BetaMIG 200: how old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BetaMIG 200: how old?

Any way of determining how old a welder is? I'm thinking of buying an old Hobart MIG serial # 84WS08962. Seller doesn't know much about it. Currently not in "working condition", no power to test. I realize that "old" doesn't necessarily mean that it's in bad condition. It's more about how it was used and what care it was given. Any known issues with these welders?

JD

I got mine in the early 80's. One of the best machines ever made. It is still working fine. I would have to move up to a 250 amp class to get one better.
    What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

My BetaMig 200 is as smooth a welder as I've ever used. I was a little leery when I first bought it because of its age (around 1984) but its built like a tank and I have no interest in upgrading to a "new" or "modern" unit.

Just my $0.02

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
      Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
      Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Originally posted by reggie98 View Post
        Any way of determining how old a welder is? I'm thinking of buying an old Hobart MIG serial # 84WS08962. Seller doesn't know much about it. Currently not in "working condition", no power to test. I realize that "old" doesn't necessarily mean that it's in bad condition. It's more about how it was used and what care it was given. Any known issues with these welders?

JD
        84 in the serial # would indicate that it was a 1984 model. Parts are still available from Miller. I have not heard any bad things about this welder.
        Millermatic Passport Plus
        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
        Dynasty 300 DX
        Victor O/A
        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Good welder . Remove cover and blow out occasionally, lube fan motor once a year or so . Check connectons on output terminal board. It will last a Looong time.
          O.F.

Comment

Working...
          X