Unique Shop Table.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Shop Table.

This table was just fabricated by one of the many welders in the shop where I work. He will be installing it in His home shop. I think its a very brilliant solution for those shops [mine] that have uneven floors. Good Job Mitch. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Hunter55; 02-04-2019, 09:56 PM. Reason: Just giving credit where due

Originally posted by Hunter55 View Post
    This table was just fabricated by one of the many welders in the shop where I work. He will be installing it in His home shop. I think its a very brilliant solution for those shops [mine] that have uneven floors. Good Job Mitch. Thoughts anyone?
    Matter of fact I have a few thoughts. Not all of them positive, but, it's not my table.
    Having said that...Good Job Mitch. Got your self a shop table buddy.

Now, I'm not sure about those nuts and all thread holding the plate up? That while looking funky artsy and all, I'm not seeing this as well thought out? Support and level? OR height for the crank?
    And while I'm digging the adjustable thing going on, it looks complicated.
    Good design flows smoothly and appears less mechanically abrupt as those crank up jacks make it appear?
    No harm, no foul...it's a table.

I know it sounds internet critical what I've mostly said, but it's meant to be constructive. I'm sorry when I say, great idea, poorly thought out. But nice table.

Comment

Brilliant. Uneven floors and quite a range of work heights at the same time. Only thing I think of is all the accidental getting hit in the knees or gnards with the jack handles.

Comment

Poorly thought out? Consider this. This table will accommodate a very large piece or several large pieces of material all of which can be clamped, if necessary, from all 4 sides. Suppose You have a small piece or several small pieces that need to be clamped from all sides. This design gives the user that ability. Also each small square is adjustable. What if the user needs more [higher or lower] middle support due to a particular design of the material being fabricated. Or visa versa. Just food for thought.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hunter55; 02-06-2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Well if that isn't the greatest thing since instant coffee, sliced cheese and ketchup packs. Why didn't I think of that sooner?
          Hey, If it works for your needs, fantastic. It's a special table, unique in design with specific functions in mind.

"Thoughts anyone?"

Well, I had a few and I shared them. At the end of the day, if it works and functions as you had hoped, it's a success. It's like asking, do you like the color?

Some might have suggested leaving the plate in one piece, drilling a bunch of holes and investing in new clamps? If you thing about the man hours to cut those pieces, assemble those pieces...it's still a nice table.

I just googled welding table. Lots of ideas on fit, form and function. Yours in unique in that regard but still fits the criteria.

"Also each small square is adjustable."

I'm not seeing the purpose behind adjustability in the squares other then he need to level them all? But if it works for you, bonus.

Comment

If it is what he needs its a great bench, but for me my floor is level so I wouldn't need the jacks and it would take something pretty special for me to go around and adjust all those jacks, I can see adjustable feet but not the jacks, and I don't see the need for the threaded rods, if they were to make room for clamping the same could be done by over hanging the top from the sub frame, if it works for him that's all the counts but for me it would be a lot of work and money for no gain. Also I am to lazy to go around and adjust all those threaded rods. IMHO

Comment

I always tell people that anything I built that didn't turn out flat or level was specially engineered to be "sloped for drainage!"

Comment

I got lots of "drainage" devices....

Digital or bubble levels and rulers with either imperial or metric scales all lie....

Dale
                Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Working...
                X