Portaband table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portaband table saw

I watch "Forged in Fire" alot, and almost all of those bladesmiths, have a Portaband saw mounted in a framework that has a surface for cutting small stuff. I do a lot of bench work (although I'm slowing down) and I think it would be a benefit for what I do. Has anyone had experience on such a setup, that you could share?
    Last edited by Rocky D; 07-03-2018, 04:46 PM.
    Arcin' and sparkin', Rocky D <><
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER...
    IF YOU'RE READING THIS IN ENGLISH, THANK A SOLDIER!

Comment

That setup in your picture is what I was going to suggest...

Dale
      Last edited by Dale M.; 07-18-2018, 07:45 AM.
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

About four years ago I had a project (paying) out of town that a portaband saw was going to be required. I bought a DeWalt mostly because it was on sale and there were some good reviews too. Since it's value for this job would be in the vertical mode I made a stand sort of copied from some photographs posted I don't remember where. Like I said this is for a DeWalt and works well for it. Not sure how it would do with other brands of saws. Do you already have a saw? I've seen photos stands for Milwaukee and HF that look pretty simple, again I don't remember where. I used scrap I had in my resource pile. A base from a vacuum pump, some flat bar stock and a piece of 1/8 in thk steel for the table. I bought a switched outlet from McMaster Carr. If you're I'll get some photos posted.

John M

Comment

Originally posted by ifida View Post
          If you're I'll get some photos posted.

John M
          Sure, I love to see the pictures.

Comment

Give me a few days as I have to 'recover' the pieces parts'

Comment

The decent ones are sold by Swag Off Road. I think those particular items are USA made and even made in your area of the State (of disfunction)..
              fence and gate shop worker
              At home...
              Lincoln Power MIG 180....
              Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

The DeWalt plug in (115volt) is a topnotch saw. Our Milwaukees at work were used by the field crew, then given to the shop guys. The last one died, not sure how. I still use a beat up DeWalt that looks like it was also a field crew saw and have nothing bad to say about it. The guide wheel assembly is worn out and was when I started 2 years ago. I just use the saw for coping of weldable fittings when doing odd angles on railings, Sometimes making an odd shaped cap from , Buy an extra set of tires. Zoro tools sells tires, guide wheels (bearings), etc. if you need any parts down the from 1/4" plate. Sounds like you have power available so skip the rechargeables. The field guys have the rechargeables as they are handy if walking around a lot. A higher speed and lack of power is annoying, though. The field guys have a 14" gas chop saw in each truck for pipe..
                Last edited by gatemaker; 07-21-2018, 03:51 PM.
                fence and gate shop worker
                At home...
                Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Rocky and friends,

Here is an option to make the Milwaukee Band Saw Base more useful. I had some parts to cut that were too small to be held with the chain vise, so I welded a bracket to hold a small "standard" vise in the chain vise of the band saw base. See the photo. These bases are great for helping make true 90-degree cuts, but allow no options for other angles and certainly no options for compound angles. It took a couple of iterations, but I got the angle of the bracket adjusted so that the top of the blade is parallel to the top of the vise. ~0le
                  "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

What am I missing? Why are these better than setting up a full-size bandsaw? Is this cheaper? Is space a critical issue? Or does it actually cut small stuff better?

Comment

Working...
                    X