Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help using a DeWalt DW890 metal shear...anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help using a DeWalt DW890 metal shear...anyone?

Hi Gang:

Bought this nifty electric metal shear (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalwor...ars-dw890.aspx) to cut 20 ga. sheet but can't decide if I'm using it correctly. It goes fine in a straight line but if I need to turn to cut a curve it's a beotch to get it to curve left or right. I've tried leaning it over in the direction of the curve (like turning my motorcycle) and that didn't help. Any suggestions from those of you who may use these things more than I do?

Ron

Your link 404ed so assuming you're referring to an electric shear with two fixed and one middle blade which oscillates, they are designed for straight cuts or very large radius curves.

I have a Milwaukee and a Kett and can also attest to the fact that they don't cut across ribbed profiles like R-panels very well either. Just not the tool for those tasks. With regard to your current boggle, the 1/4" wide strip that comes up over the center blade binds against the sides when you try to curve. With 20 gauge you can get a tighter curve by keeping tension on the waste curl perpendicular to the plane of the workpiece, so the interference with the sides is reduced.. having a helper to do this makes it easier, but it's still a pain in the neck.

You need a single shearing type cutter. There are different styles- some that look like motor driven scissors and some that have an action like that of a jigsaw. Please try to buy American.. even if it means second hand.
    Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Working...
    X