Small mill/drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small mill/drills

I am thinking of getting one of the Harbor Frieght small mill/drills.The square column type[500$/1,000$] or the one at wttool.com[589$] all have R8 tapers.Thought about saving and getting a bigger used machine,but space is a real problem.I bought a Lathemaster lathe a while back and am really pleased with it.Does anyone have any of these mills or have used them?Have read some reviews on the larger round column Grizzlies ,not very good.Also they all are direct drive geared heads.No belt drive,if I read the info correctly.Thanks

Well, there are the 150-350 pound SIEG X1, X2 and X3 mini mills, then there are the 600-800 pound Rong-Fu and similar (ZAY) square column mills like you can find at ENCO, Grizzly and LatheMaster.

http://www.siegind.com/products_all.htm
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463

http://www.lathemaster.com/HEAVYDUTY...E%207045FG.htm
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill...-Machine/G0519
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Harbor Freight for a mill!!!??? Not a source I would care to pay money to. There is a reason that most of the floor model machines at your local Harbor Freight store are missing pieces...customers needing replacement parts. If you are leery of Grizzly's round column mills due to the reviews, you definately won't be happy with the Harbor Freight models as their quality control is set at a much lower level in comparison to the Grizzly machines.

Be advised that the mill is the cheap side of the equation. Tooling, fixtures, clamps, gauges...your play money is going to take a severe hit for a good long while into the future.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Yeah,I have a much$ in tooling and other necessary items as I paid for the lathe.I guess the Lathemaster lathe gave me a little more confidence in CHI-COM,equipment.But all is not the same.
        I would never buy any other welding machine except,Miller,Hobart,Lincoln or maybe Thermal arc.I guess I am trying to go on the cheap on this as it will not get the same workout as the welder.Although I find myself using the Lathe a lot more than I thought I would.Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I have a Grizzly bandsaw for wood and I am not happy with the construction of the tool. If I were to do it again, I would spend another $100.00 and buy a Jet or a Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianstick View Post
            I have a Grizzly bandsaw for wood and I am not happy with the construction of the tool. If I were to do it again, I would spend another $100.00 and buy a Jet or a Delta.
            Jet often has the same basic design as the Grizzly products...at least for the metalworking machines. Usually they will each offer some small extra bell or whistle to their particular machine, but still the same machine below the surface of the paint. With experience with both these companies and their respective machines...I'd save the money and go with the Grizzly model as their parts and customer service far outshine Jet from both a price and service standpoint. Delta's machines, at least those still manufactured here, are of a higher quality. The Delta equipment from overseas is about what you could expect from Grizzly or Jet.
            Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

It all depends on what you want/need to do with the machine, and how much you are willing to spend in time/aggravation to make it right or live with the limitations.

I've come close to purchasing a Victor (Bridegeport-type) and an Abene (Swedish) mill, but the timing and logistics weren't right. Both were in the range of 3,000 pounds and would take up some space, not to mention $3-4,000. out of the wallet. As it is, we have a $199. Speedway (Homier tent sale) mill-drill that can barely slot a piece of aluminum. But it is fun.

Keep your eyes open. Awhile back, someone in the Richmond area had a little Steiner mill (German) for sale. It was not horrendously bigger than the biggest SEIG mill, more on the order of a small Clausing mill. It wouldn't have been a bad choice overall. Things do come up now and again.

Comment

mills/drills

i own a harbor freight mill and small lathe.they are both ok for what i do which ain't much.i've made a couple of bearing for the steering on my backhoe with the lathe and drilled+ sloted holes with the mill.if i had more money i'd go with bigger better things.one downfall is they both have nylon or plastic gearing if your not careful they go boom.check out youtube they have a ton of these machines, some even cnc'd.

Comment

I've come close to purchasing a Victor (Bridegeport-type) and an Abene (Swedish) mill, but the timing and logistics weren't right.

Pop,
                  I remember the thread on the Abene...still lust in my evil lil' heart for that machine!!!

Comment

I actually got one for about $100., but never picked it up in New York. Turns out it needed a spindle regrind anyway and was missing the overarm. I did see one in great shape (1-owner private machinist) go for around $2,500 on eBay later. I saw another in great shape with all kinds of spindles and stuff that was going for $4,000. They are incredible! Compact but heavier than a Bridgeport.

Comment

I especially liked the horz/vert feature on the Abene...makes my Bridgeport and its horz. adapter look pathetic in comparison.

Comment

PLASTIC gears,as gentle as I am with equipment ,it would last me about 5 minutes.Thanks for the info.If the Lathemaster mill is a stout as the lathe ,I may go with it,will keep researching for now.

Comment

ViceGrip here.......

Go'n on week 2 now , with no PC.
                          Trogan dot me. off my own weldtalk thread.

Over at my daughter's place, her PC.

Search an old thread, about the small horizontals.
                          I made the case for usefullness and rigidity, all
                          in ONE mill that takes half the space of a BP.

Dout any links would be still curant, but search Ebay for examples,
                          of small horizontals. Drilling is a null argument....
                          as a slide quill can be added in a jiffy.

Cheers
                          Explore , or stagnate !
                          The choice is your's .

Comment

Vice,
                            Still looking for a nice condition Clausing horizontal mill for the shop...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/page3.html

Comment

Cute !!

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
                              Vice,
                              Still looking for a nice condition Clausing horizontal mill for the shop...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/page3.html
                              My only problem is parts.
                              The spin-off outfit.......that still offers Clausing parts.....
                              should be jailed and thrashed for the prices they charge.

I've duplicated parts on occasion for sorrofull Clausing owners.

Beyond that ....LuV it!!
                              Cheers
                              Phil

Man this is a nice Lap-top!!
                              But the finger-pad-mouse is the pits!
                              Have an old 90's lap-top.....with a little red joy-stick right in the
                              middle-O-the key-board. Now that worked well.
                              Last edited by Nomadd; 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM.
                              Explore , or stagnate !
                              The choice is your's .

Comment

Working...
                              X