X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldtimer2
    replied
    keep it simple

After you sand your part, set the part down on a metal table that is setting on the floor. When the part touches the table, this should ground the charge that is in you. Now turn the grinder off. I should not shock you.

Leave a comment:

• Monte55
    replied
    Remember..........there's still the option of a Jr bacon cheeseburger and they
    hardly ever shock. Hey........this is a limited time offer!!

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Sunpeople, based on your last post, I suspect that you're holding the tool being ground suspended with your hand. In this case you charge your body with the statics produced around the plastic wheel and at the belt-tool friction point. In this case resting the tool against a grounded tool rest will help.

Replacing the plastic wheel with a grounded metal one will certainly help decrease production of statics to a certain degree. Even it the other side of the belt runs around a grounded steel drive wheel or there is a grounded metal plate underneath the belt.

P.S. Just for a kick of this, you may try using an anti-static spray on the belt (I'd start with applying it on the non-abrasive side of of the belt).
    Last edited by MichaelP; 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monte55
    replied
    Is there a place on the case you could attatch a small spring to lightly touch
    the inside of the belt to bleed off this charge? A lot easier than making a new wheel.

Leave a comment:

• CornHusker
    replied
    GREAT news.... I suspected it would be something like a plastic wheel or a broken grounding strap! You do live in a pretty dry area and that doesn't help the problem. Wyoming's suggestion might help ya as well if you can ground that plastic wheel to the metal case.

Leave a comment:

• Wyoming
    replied
    Originally posted by Monte55 View Post
    I'm shocked by your piddley offer. I offered not only a dollar, but a big dollar equal to a Jr bacon cheeseburger. Top that! And don't say tomato.
    Okay, biggie fries and a large soft drink as well...the full meal deal!

Leave a comment:

• sunpeople
    replied
    YES!! YES!! YES!! i think i have found the problem!!!! I was just working on the sander and have it all taken apart. I think the problem is the top wheel that the sanding belt runs on, its made out of plastic and i think its building up a static charge as it runs.
    As soon as i found this out i stopped working on this sander and took the guards off of my other two sanders to look at the belt wheels on them, and the one (6X48) sander has both the top and bottom wheels made out of aluminum and the other sander, (1X42) the drive wheel is steel with a rubber coating and the top wheel is all steel.
    Now on my problem sander the drive wheel is steel with a rubber coating and as i said before the top wheel is plastic, so what i am going to do is take it apart and measure up the plastic wheel, then i will get some aluminum and machine a replacement for it, install the replacement and give it a try and hopefully this will solve the problem.
    Before i go to all of this work i would like to get some input from you guys and see what you think, do you think this is the problem? If you do i will have have to wait till Monday to get some stock to make the wheel out of. As i said before i thought it would be something simple, and i think this might just be it.
    Last edited by sunpeople; 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sunpeople
    replied
    Ah Monte55, your right, your offer was only 1 dollar but i was hoping to do that Freud thing and plant the idea that you said 5 dollars instead of only one, ah well i tried.

Bandsawguy, i will have you know that my wife beat you to your idea, she offered me a hat with rabbit ears, since they will be worthless in 6 weeks to use on the TV (all TV signals in the US will be HD then) she though i might be able to use them to solve my problem.

Getting back to my problem, the air here in Arizona is very dry, and i do understand the static charge thing, but what i dont understand is why i dont get any static shock off or my other two belt sanders. I have to agree with MichealP, i think your on the right track, i have tried sanding while i held one hand on the case of the sander as i sanded the part using my other hand and when i was done and turned off the sander i got "NO" shock at all.

So i think your right, that it is a static build up, but what is it that's different between this sander and my other two sanders, because i get no shock at all off them. Maybe i will have to use the static wrist strap like you said but i hope to find some other type of simple answer to fix this, due to the fact that i am not too crazy about having a strap around my arm right next to a high speed machine! Something like that could get ugly very fast.

One last thing i just want to say thanks to everyone that has offered up ideas to fix my problem and thanks for the humor, you guy are great, it always seems to make finding the answer a little easier when you have a smile on your face.
    Last edited by sunpeople; 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Nick, if you're shocked by my offer, we need to think about grounding one of us. Let's just get people's suggestions on where to shove a six-foot grounding rod.

P.S. Use of a resistance tester might be in order. I don't know about you, but I'll certainly resist all attempts to become grounded.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monte55
    replied
    I'm shocked by your piddley offer. I offered not only a dollar, but a big dollar equal to a Jr bacon cheeseburger. Top that! And don't say tomato.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by sunpeople View Post
    i stand on a rubber mat ...

I ran a #12 wire from one of the screw heads on the sander case to the EMT conduit...this did not solve the problem....the conduit in the shop is all grounded to a copper rod that i sunk 8 feet in the ground outside the shop.
    If you're sure the case is grounded, but you get a shock by touching it, I see only one explanation: statics on your body.

Naturally, I wouldn't go as far as recommending metal or metalized grounded floor mats since it'll be too dangerous should you have any power leaks. Static discharge is one thing, electric chair is something slightly different.

Try this trick when you're ready to grind: hold a bare metal tool in your hand (a wrench, for example) and touch any grounded surface by it. This will help you get rid of the charge quickly and painlessly. And until you accumulate more, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure your know that dry air, certain cloth fabric and floor coverings play the most significant role in statics accumulation.

Unfortunately, an anti-static wrist band or any similar approach of body grounding won't be practical or safe to use while working with machinery. Couple of things that you may try are an anti-static spray or air humidifier, but they may not be too effective.

Naturally, a moving sander belt may and will produce statics too, but in order to get shocked or charged by it, you'll need to touch/hold an ungrounded area in the vicinity of the belt during or prior to discharge. If this is a case, by all means ground the area as per Wyoming's suggestion. On the other hand, if all you need to get shocked is to come up to the grinder and touch its grounded case, then the belt (or the grinder for that matter) has nothing to do with this. You'd get the same shock by touching a grounded conduit.

P.S. There is only one easy and effective way to completely eliminate the problem. And that is selling the sander to me for $3.75.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyoming
    replied
    I'll go $2.50 just to keep Monte honest.

Leave a comment:

• Monte55
    replied
    I'm purty sure I said a dollar

Leave a comment:

• bandsawguy
    replied
    Try making a hat out of aluminum foil and wear that while sanding.

Other than that I am out of ideas.

Leave a comment:

• sunpeople
    replied
    I though i would update everyone who has tried to help me with my problem. I wanted to take this time to answer some questions that were asked of me. First the sander is mounted on a wood bench, for that fact all three of my sanders are all on the same wood bench, next when i use it to sand something i stand on a rubber mat that runs the whole way in front of the bench that the sander are on so i am not standing on a bare concrete floor.

What i tried today to fix the problem was what Bandsawguy said to try, I ran a #12 wire from one of the screw heads on the sander case to the EMT conduit that i have all of my electrical power running in to power all of my shop tools, the bad news is this did not solve the problem. Just in case someone asks the conduit in the shop is all grounded to a copper rod that i sunk 8 feet in the ground outside the shop.

I am going to try what Wyoming said to try, i will see if i can set something up this afternoon and see if that works. By the way Monte55 i am not to the point yet, of wanting to sell the sander, but thanks for your offer of 5 bucks. If anybody else has any suggestions please offer up your ideas and i will give them a try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X