Keeping tap square to material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping tap square to material?

Does anyone have some advice on how to keep a tap square to the material when tapping holes for a bolt?

I have aluminum bar 1 1/2" wide but only 1/4" thick. I am tapping a 1/2" hole but I am finding that it is very easy to tap the hole and not have the threads/bolt square to the material (due to the softness and material thickness)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thread

You can mount the tap in a drill press chuck and turn by hand.A lathe or mill will work also.

Comment

Or use a hand tapping machine:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=318-0007
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Tool-Makers use a tapping block.

We have to hand-tap holes sometimes when working (in assembly).

In a good flat chunk of tool-steel, Mild-steel will work
        but it won't last as long, drill nominal sized holes for each tap size.
        Using a good drill-press.

To make a nicer one, drill for ream.....instead,
        and ream with 1 thou / over-size reamers.

Now clamp or hold your tapping-block inplace and it will
        guide the tap in straight.

Another way is to have your work level, and tap with a hand-drill
        that has a {plumb-bubble} in the heal of the handle.

Cheers
        VG
        sigpicViceGrip
        Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Or the famous "try-angle" method.

This requires two people that like you and one who doesn't care.

Have each of the two friends stand @ 90 degrees to each other.
          Each will coach you as to when the tap is truely square.

The indifferent friend, will settle the dispute, after the work is spoiled.

vg
          sigpicViceGrip
          Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

A simple method is to cut an "L" shaped block of wood out of something like a 2X4. Place the inside corner over the hole and make sure the tap touches both sides of the inside corner as you tap the hole. Similar to the 2 buddies method mentioned earlier, but the wooden block won't drink your beer.

Don

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew I'd end up with a few good ideas!
              Tom

Comment

Some of the tool company's offer a hand tap handle with a flat base (you hold the base against the item your going to tap) with a hole in the center of it that the tap goes through that will keep you tap handle and threads straight. Enco sells them i think they are about 15 or 20 bucks but if you cant find one the method Vice Grip told you about is the next best way to go. When i was just starting out as a Machinist one of the first projects our shop teacher had us make was a tap block i made mine out o A2 tool steel and had it heat treated and i still have it and use it from time to time.
                Hobart Tigwave 250
                Hobart Pulser
                Hobart Tig Cooler
                9X42 Bridgeport
                14X40 Engine Lathe
                Darex Tool Grinders
                Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
                Boyar Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder
                Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!

Comment

Yeah. Understand there are three types of taps. Taper, plug, and bottoming. Start with taper tap. Keep the tap verticle to the work when starting. All goes well if you pay attention.

Comment

i am with the guy on starting it with the jacobs chuck on a drill press or mill,start with a plug or starting tap preferably a starting ,chuck your tap in the jacobs chuck turn it buy hand to start it as far as you can then finish with a tap handle . invest in some good tapping fluid a little goes a long ways !watch tapping aluminum it will gauld on you so be sure to use tapping fluid .. good luck chris

Comment

Tap holders usually have a central indentation on the top. Center and clamp your work on your drill press table, then insert something like a 1/8" drill or a center punch into the chuck of the drill, lower the quill till the tool is inserted in the central indentation of the handle and keep applying light vertical pressure while turning the tap holder handles by your other hand.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 01-13-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Take a look at the "t-type" tap wrench on the top right of this page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=108

Something with a pilot guide like that would make it easy to start using a drill press without having to move the quill.

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                        -------------------------

Comment

Here is a pretty simple solution for solving the misaligned tap problem.

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/new...9.html#Tapping

The article was written by a machinist. So your mileage may vary depending on your skill, tools, and creativity.

- BDC
                          Last edited by BillDaCatt; 02-06-2009, 11:00 PM.
                          HH187, TA 185 AC/DC Arcmaster, Hypertherm Powermax 380 Plasma
                          Smithy 1220 LX Lathe
                          Peter Wright 132 (198lbs) anvil
                          Hoods: Jackson Nexgen and Hobart/Miller XLi
                          Victor compatible med duty OA setup
                          Chop Saw, 4x6 Band Saw

Comment

I clamp a die of the same size to the base material and thread it (the tap) through the die.

Comment

Working...
                            X