The Joy of Draw-Filing........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joy of Draw-Filing........

Remember this sword, I prepped on a Burr-King?
    Well step 2 is two draw-file it.
    No better way to correct imperfections in shape!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ight=burr-king

Pics are my usual challenge , Dern it!

Great for relaxation and honing yer dextrous instinkts.
    ViceGrip
    PS.
    Want the most agressive severing edge there is?
    Draw-file the finnished edge (off-hand) with a brand-new
    single-cut mill-ba$tard. No stoned edge can acheive the same affect.
    Under a micro-scope the edge will make yer hair stand on end!!

vg
    Last edited by vicegrip; 11-24-2008, 02:53 AM.
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Phil,
    You go in for those Renaissance Festival grudge matches of death or what? Kinda have to admit I have a hankering to go to one again, but its only for the beer and turkey legs...well, maybe for the gals in the peasant blouses too if Killer isn't in too close attendance.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
      Phil,
      You go in for those Renaissance Festival grudge matches of death or what? Kinda have to admit I have a hankering to go to one again, but its only for the beer and turkey legs...well, maybe for the gals in the peasant blouses too if Killer isn't in too close attendance.
      I seem to be drawn to sharp edges, and peasant wenches.
      Mine had money, met me now she's a peasant.

A fresh sharp edge found me last night. Boss said yer go'n in. Got-it!!
      Spent 3-1/2 hours waiting in the ER for closeure.

It was worth it, Doc measured the wound 1-3/4 long.
      7/16 across, tissue unaccounted for.
      He did such a fine job I won't even get a cool nasty scar.
      BUT, the nurse let me keep the scale !!!!!!!!

This puppy is better than ANY machinist's scale I ever had !!
      I'll do a pic tomorrow, I ain't kidd'n.

Phil
      sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Machinist scale? Killer saw my Starrett thin hook rule and had to have one for her very own. eBay and $20 later I had one...and a Starrett drill gage and another rule besides. Wanted the drill gage anyway, but didn't want to spend the money for one until the hook rule came into the deal.
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Where I worked, they had a contract to build a Surface Effect Ship for the Navy, all aluminum. The fitters and weldors had to certify in draw-filing! I wasn't on it, so I don't know what constitutes a certification.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky D View Post
            I wasn't on it, so I don't know what constitutes a certification.

Hmmmnnnn ?
            In tool-making , Ya make a 1" square 4" long from sawed round stock.
            Draw filing is the only way to hit +/- .001 to finnish it.

VG

1" round from sawed square-stock too.
            Ends have to be square as well .0005" tir.
            sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
              Machinist scale? Killer saw my Starrett thin hook rule and had to have one for her very own.

Mine likes the tubes new carbide drills come in , for knitting needles.
              And Starrett boxes for odds and ends.

VG

She likes the smell of sulfur-oil better than cologne.
              Her dad was a Brown & Sharps Man, his whole life.
              Last edited by vicegrip; 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM.
              sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                She likes the smell of sulfur-oil better than cologne.
                Phil, my Uncle used to kid about "Evening in a Barnyard" cologne. What angle do you use when draw-filing?

Rocky, I would think a "Surface Effect Ship" is one that floats.
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

Odds and ends??? I only wish Killer would settle for Starrett boxes. Even Starrett boxes chock full of Starrett tools would be cheaper....

Comment

...and her "sewing cabinet" makes that one look nickle and dime...

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                      Hmmmnnnn ?
                      In tool-making , Ya make a 1" square 4" long from sawed round stock.
                      Draw filing is the only way to hit +/- .001 to finnish it.

VG

1" round from sawed square-stock too.
                      Ends have to be square as well .0005" tir.
                      Reminds me of my high school's metal shop classes many moons ago. Our first assignment was to turn a square of steel into a precise square using only a file.
                      It taught you all about reading a blue print and the finer things in life like dial calipers and micrometers!

loved those classes,
                      -dseman

Comment

Working...
                      X