Mig Welding Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig Welding Helmet

Alright, do you get what you pay for with welding helmets? Is it most important only for Tig? I'm Mig welding and don't want to fry my eyes so do I get a auto dimming helmet and trust it? They are anywhere from $350 dollars to $25. Does anyone have experience with the $50 Chinese one from Princess Auto?

I think you do get what you pay for. I have a Jackson NexGen 3n1. Many people here like the Miller Elite line. Good auto dark hoods cost good money.

Comment

The $50 ones work just great, but the more expensive ones will have larger viewing lenses and a clearer view. Also, the head gear on the cheap ones is, well, cheap. They do work, though. I use a $49 Harbor Freight one myself. No issues.

Comment

I use the same HF auto-darkening helmet, have never had an issue. However, I have never worn a really good NexGen or Miller helmet. Why? I'm scared that I will hate my current one then, and have to spend 300 bucks!

PS - My HF helmet is the black one, not the blue one with skulls or flames or whatever. I think the classic looking black helmets are cooler.
        Millermatic 135 110v .030 Flux-Core Wire

Have a Jeep Cherokee? Click Here!

Comment

Well I bought it and it feels alright on. I just hope I haven't gambled my vision on trusting the 1/25000 of a second 'switch to dark' claim on the box.
          And it's probably a given that it's done up in lead paint...

Comment

I have the blue flame one. I think it was $39, I'm strictly an amateur, seems to work all right.

Willy

Comment

The 1/25000 is just the time it takes to darken. The lens itself protects against UV whether it darkens or not. So other than seeing light spots for a bit, no other harm should come to you if it doesn't darken.

Comment

So I gather it's the UV that's the dangerous part. How can I tell if this lens actually protects against that? (I can still see!)

Comment

That's a good indicator.

Basically, if you weld for a while and your eyes don't burn like heck later that day/night, it works.

Comment

i bought the $47 auto darkening helmet from grizzly, works fine for home shop. if i were doing day in day out welding, i'd buy a hobart or otherlike that.

Comment

I have the 49.00 Northern tool one.
                      it comes in any color you want as long as it's black.

so, I peeled off the flames, painted it with Krylon plactic paint (blue) and reapplied the flames. Then I added a computer fan on top to keep my head cool.

Works great, used daily and I still have 20/20

BUT, I always carry as old fashioned tryed and true non-AD helmet just in case the electronic one fails..
                      Winter Garden & Homestead Florida.

Certifyed in MIG & TIG.
                      Mobile Unit
                      Invertec V205 T TIG w/ #17 torch
                      Invertec V350 T w/ wire feeder
                      Hobart 325 water cooled TIG
                      precision TIG 375
                      Power MIG 180
                      Power MIG 350
                      Pro-Cut 80 Plasma cutter

3- 4 1/2" grinders/cutters
                      orange chop saw with Dewalt blades
                      and 2 large and 1 small O/A setups
                      Lincoln power MIG 140C
                      Lincoln Invertec V205T AC/DC TIG

Comment

I bought my helmet from Amazon under 100$. It's made by Neiko Tools. It fit well, the auto-darkening worked quickly, and made it easy to focus on welding.
                        The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.
                        Metal Industry News celebrity addresses world amazing facts

Comment

"Then I added a computer fan on top to keep my head cool." And I thought I had heard it all! Where do you get the power for the cooling fan from? I like the idea, but I picture you moving around with some type of power cord hanging/dragging along with you. Picture please. David

Comment

I have a helmet from Princess Auto. For the little bit of welding that I have done, it works fine. Be careful with the way the the ceiling light effects the light sensors. Sometimes it goes dark before you strike an arc. Keep the light behind you or turn your head a bit. I figure it was a good starter helmet.

Comment

Working...
                            X