using dc current with magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using dc current with magnets

i have not yet used magnetic holders with welding projects, but plan to real soon. on one package i saw a warning not to use dc current when welding. does this make the arc wander, and if so, how bad? is it better or worse with mig or stick? thanks.
    5 rules for happiness:

1. free your heart from hatred
    2. free your mind from worries
    3. live simply
    4. give more
    5. expect less

milwaukee 12 amp 4.5" angle grinder
    Rigid chop saw
    Rigid 3" drill press
    4 X 6 horizontal band saw
    porter cable 1410 dry cut saw
    milwaukee 8" metal cutting circular saw
    Van Sant 1 HP multi-tool/grinder
    O/A setup
    TA 185
    MM 212
    Cutmaster 52

I don't know about DC, but they affect the arc on AC and MIG very notably. I use them only for initial positioning until I can put some tack welds down,m then I remove them ASAP...Plus, they annoy the heck out of me by attracting all the metal grindin's.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I've noticed arc problems with tig as well. I think a better solution for 90 degree angles is one of those angle clamps. Not the piece of junk ones that HF sells for $15 (ask me how I know they're junk), but a good one. It seems like it should be fairly easy to make one out of some large angle iron and some plate. Could even use aluminum to make it easier to handle.
      HH210 w/spool gun
      HTP Invertig 201

Comment

They don't effect MIG much, but you will notice a the arc wander in TIG and stick when you weld too close to the magnetic field.
        There is a mag unit that will attach to an automatic TIG torch to cause the arc to wag back and forth, helping to widen the weld bead. We called it a "wiggler".

Comment

magnets

Used to be on big contactors (relays) they would use magnets to blow out the arc and save the contact pad. Its still done too, its called a mag blow out. Anyways with my mig if I get a magnet real close to the arc it will snuff it or push the arc away, other times it will send the filler in the wrong direction. I only ever used a magnet close to the gun once for a tack on a very small part. Took double everything including time.
          Son of usmcpop. Lincoln SP175+, Miller Syncrowave 250, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC, Victor O/A, Index 745 Mill, Clausing 5904 lathe, Harbor Freight 8x12 lathe.

Accurate is a relative term...right?

Comment

I s'pose a lot would depend on the strength of the magnet.

Comment

Working...
            X