Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandsaw issues...Should I just buy a Jet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw issues...Should I just buy a Jet??

I picked up a used Rockford 4x6" bandsaw in a package deal with an oxy/acetylene setup, and I am having some problems with it. The first thing I did for it was rewire it with a longer cord and replace the blade. The problem I am having with it is it consistently bogs down on pretty much any type of mild steel I try cutting with it. That includes 1/8" thick 1.5x1.5" angle, flat stock, or just about anything I clamp in it. The motor is a UL Emerson 1/3HP of unknown age, and I am not sure if the motor is the problem or if the setup is. I can alleviate the problem by physically lowering the blade slower over the metal, but anytime its allowed to lower itself (via gravity) it will bog down. Is it possible my blade speed is wrong, or is something else the problem?

I have a chance to pick up a like new Jet for around $150, so I am tempted to simply get rid of this thing and use the Jet. Is the Jet model that much better than the Chinese/HF models?

That motor should be strong enough for what you are cutting. Does it start right up, or does it have to "get going" when switched on? (if so it may be shot), the blade must be as tight as you can set it by hand, and sharp. Is it mounted correctly (teeth pointing into cut and out)? You might be getting into some binding issues by the blade guides/brushes/pulleys not being set up right. Just watching the saw run with nothing in it can reveal mis-alignments, if thats the problem. You could have a bad bearing, gtake the balde off, and go around and "finger check" to see if any are falling apart or binding. They're cheap to replace. Try some cutting fluid (not WD40!)...you can buy it at Home Depot (makes drilling holes 100% easier, too!).

If all else is good with the saw, you can scrounge up a motor for next to nothing. My 1/2 HP my saw needed is out of a treadmill they were scrapping (drop-off's at Thrift Store yield many of these), runs great, and set me back $5.00.
    I am, suspect of your cord re-wiring, too. Did you use the proper gauge for its length? Is that circuit already "too used up"?
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The cord isn't the issue, as it did the same before I rewired it. The motor starts up fine, and doesn't smoke or make any abnormal noises. I'll check the guides and pulleys tonight and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

I know my 4x6" didn't like the startup when cold, or when the weather was cold, then I took the cover off, they had used grease. I removed a bunch, and added some gear lube, made a big difference. (Reminds me, that was another thing to go back and change....planning to clean out again and use straight gear lube)

You may also want to check if the belt is slipping rather than the motor bogging down too.

Comment

Jason:

Can you set the downward force on the cutting blade? My Jet has an adjustment where you adjust the tension on a spring to set cutting pressure, might look at that.
          Most of the 4x6 bandsaws out there are pretty much the same design and if you play around with them you usually can tweak them up to a reasonable satisfaction and performance level.
          Mike in Fort Wayne
          DeWalt Grinders /// Atlas 618 lathe/Atlas Mill/Shaper
          Snap-On Roll Cab & tools
          Wet & Dry Sandblasters /// IR 5hp air compressor
          24X32 shop - my space

Comment

I pulled the pulley cover last night, and the belt was actually slipping a little. I adjusted the motor mounts to increase the tension, but this still did not cure the problem. I also checked and lubed all th blade guides, but the motor is still bogging down. I'm not sure if this model has any way to adjust the lowering tension or not, I'll have to look later.

So, what are the opinions on the Jet?

Comment

So, what are the opinions on the Jet?[/QUOTE]

Paid a little more than I wanted to for the Jet but by the same token, and it works great out of the box. The only change was to put a better blade on the machine. Other than that, it's running great.

I didn't want a HF bandsaw and all the usual mickey mousing around to tweak them so they work most of the time. To me, the extra cost of the Jet was well worth it.
              Mike in Fort Wayne
              DeWalt Grinders /// Atlas 618 lathe/Atlas Mill/Shaper
              Snap-On Roll Cab & tools
              Wet & Dry Sandblasters /// IR 5hp air compressor
              24X32 shop - my space

Comment

Originally posted by Jason280 View Post
                I have a chance to pick up a like new Jet for around $150, so I am tempted to simply get rid of this thing and use the Jet. Is the Jet model that much better than the Chinese/HF models?
                Buy the Jet.

Sell the Rockford for whatever you can get for it.

Be happy

Ed Conley
                Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                TA185
                SO 2020 Bender
                Miller 125c Plasma
                "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

I had a 4 x 6 Rockford for seven years before it went south. Your trouble sounds like tension adjustment. There's too much weight sitting on the blade. Does taking a little weight off by lifting the bow slightly with your hand clear up the problem? If the adjusting mechanism is missing or busted, that's the first place to look.

I have a Jet 5 x 6 now (HVBS56M) and it runs fine. i recommend it.

Hank
                  ...from the Gadget Garage
                  MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                  HH 210 w/DP 3035
                  TA185TSW
                  Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                  Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

It sounds like too much down pressure to me, I bought an old Ellis bandsaw and the downpressure was enormous, I added some lifting weights from a old barbell set and it cuts fine now
                    It could be just that simple
                    Millermatic 200
                    Hobart Handler 120
                    Black & Decker 14" chopsaw
                    Dewalt 14" chopsaw
                    And a serious big old Wells bandsaw
                    F-550 pick-up

Comment

The downward force also will effect how long the blade will last.More downward force means more heat.This might not be apparent on softer metals, but on harder metals you will notice it.

Comment

Working...
                      X