Chop Saw Table ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop Saw Table ideas

I am thinking of building a table to hold my Chop Saw any maybe even my Bench Grinder. Space is a bit of a concern but mainly I am worried about catching the sparks. At the moment my Chop Saw lives on the floor near my welding table (such that it is.) I have a square washtub standing behind it to try and contain the shower of sparks.

Has anyone ever built a table with some kind of a shroud? Almost like a paint booth that funnels down into a bucket or something for the sparks and nasties to collect in.
    Robert

Snap-on (Century) 110 Mig
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    Makita 4" Grinder
    Quite a collection of scrap

Functional Stuff is painted, my art rusts.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. - Winston Chruchill

Sounds like you have a start with that wash tub.. if it can handle the weight of the steel you're cutting. Sberry has an interesting design from an oil tank.

Comment

Mines on a portable stand. I just open the garage door and point it outside!

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I put chop saws (abrasive, cold-cut, wood cutting) on a hydraulic lift table. I have found that using the abrasive and wood saws outside is good for keeping down smell, dust and sparks. The wheels on the table make it easy to roll it outside for cuts and back in pretty easy.

Comment

It shouldn't be hard to find a scrap piece of sheet metal ductwork or a portion of an appliance enclosure (microwave oven cover?) that would deflect and contain the nasties.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Why not use an inexpensive welding blanket as a back drop.
            Nick
            Syncrowave 200 Tig
            Century 50 Amp Plasma
            2- O/A outfits
            Spot welder
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Jet 7x12 horiz/vert bandsaw
            DeWalt Multi Cutter Metal Saw
            Electric Hydraulic vertical press
            CNC 60"x60" Plasma/Router table
            www.nixstuff.com
            www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ

Comment

Put you washtub on the floor under table. Stand a sheet of corrugated metal roofing on end it the tub, and against the wall behind the chop saw. Trim to height desired. Your sparks and 'grit' will hit the sheet and fall into tub. Those that don't can easily be swept against the sheet with a bench brush (I have three of the Harbor Freight ones, I really like them!).
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
              X