I just bought a older hobart g-213

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a older hobart g-213

It seems that a lot of people are getting these older units and I have just acquired one over the weekend at an auction. I am working on getting the tjd Wisconsin into running shape. The welding machine looks like it was well taking care of and does not appear to have a a lot of hours on it. my question is where do I find an operators manual, parts manual, and maintenance manual for this machine I want to make sure I take good care of this sweet old machine. It will make a nice addition to my Hobart welder family. The specs for it are spec 5776-1 Model G-213 and serial number 78WS22218
    any help will be greatly appreciated.

Private message me your email and I'll get you what I have.

Comment

hobart welding machine manual - Download Manual (yahoo.com)

Comment

Having trouble removing engine from Hobart g213.

Comment

Having trouble removing the engine from my Hobart g213. Am I missing something? Need help.

Comment

I have a G-213 also. I believe there is a backer plate bolted to the crank end of the block. You would have to remove sheet metal cover to access and then unbolt. Probably 4 bolts. The crank is tapered shaft with a key way and its probably been on there for 30 plus years so you will have to apply pressure between the mounting plate and block to separate. I have used wood wedges before by tapping them with a hammer. Or a pry bar applying pressure all around a little at a time. Be careful not to damage the block or housing. I believe the welding end is supported by the engine crank so it will likely drop once separated. You might want to block it in position before pulling apart.

Colin O

Comment

Dan if I could add something to my initial response, what are you planning to do to the engine that you need to separate it from the welder? Aside from an engine rebuild, all components are accessible without separating the two.
              You can even remove the head and cylinders while keeping the 2 together. I would advise against separating the welder and engine unless absolutely necessary. Some of the components become brittle with age, especially the porcelain insulators, and they are impossible to find. Just my 2 cents.

Colin O

Comment

The rear main seal is leaking, I removed 2 bolts thru hole between engine and generator, engine mount bolts...hate to beat on the thing to remove engine..Its my bread n butter

Comment

Ok. Now I understand. Yes main crank seal would require you to separate from the engine. I cannot see on the manual as it's not clear on how the generator is attached to the engine but based on others I have seen should be 4 bolts. Tapered shaft should require some force to separate but by no means should it have to be "beat on". Hopefully someone else can comment. Where is the Hobart representative?

Colin

Comment

Thanks fellas,I'm new at this interweb stuff, not to many people run these old thing's .I like em ,run good as any iv ran over the years. I'll look into the 4 bolts, the Wisconsin should have a 4 bolt flange with main seal??

Comment

Nubs I can send you the engine manual if you want. Just send me your email if you want it. Do you know if it's a TJD or THD?

Colin

Comment

Yeah sure thanks,its a tjd. [email protected] . I appreciate your help.

Comment

Nubs, I sent you the manual. I attached a picture of a rear flange and it has the 4 bolts discussed.

Colin O

Comment

Can you still get parts for a G-213?

Comment

You can get engine parts on ebay or try Tim at Rock Creek Consulting in Pennsylvania. He deals with Wisconsin engines and has many new parts. If you google it the information is there. On ebay it's mostly used stuff, some new old stock but can be very expensive. You have to search and look for something in your price range. Sometimes it takes a while.
                              For the welding unit, I don't believe very much if anything is available anymore. There was a guy on the Smokestack website that found a way to recast the porcelain insulators. These seem to be problematic as they tend to become brittle over time and break apart. Maybe someone else can comment as to a parts source for the welding end.

Colin O

Comment

Working...
                              X