Hobart 10k low voltage high frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 10k low voltage high frustration

I have a Hobart champion 10k that puts out around 80 volts at the welder and only 72 volts at the generator receptacles.

during troubleshooting I noticed I get around a 20 volt output at the brushed on #21B while running but only 3.volts on #26B while running. The LED on the circuit board doesn’t light up either.

it will pop the breaker above the receptacle if given much of a load more than a drill.

brushes and rings both look good and I cleaned them to be certain.

what can I test to be sure it’s the circuit board and not another issue? I don’t want to put a new board on and fry it. Any tests I can do to locate the problem in certainty? I’m great with a soldering iron so if it’s something simple on the board I can handle that as well. I just need to know what I’m looking for. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Hi there,

How old is this machine?

Comment

I don’t know the exact age. It’s an LC623242. 220 hours on it.

Comment

Also checked ohms at the rings and had 18.9ohms. Wire 26 unhooked and tested to ground shows zero with the engine off.

Comment

Lugnut, Have you checked the fuse F1 on the front of the machine? This fuse being blown is often the culprit in low voltage cases such as this.

Comment

I have checked F1 and it is good.

Comment

Have you verified that the engine is running at the proper RPM?

Comment

Yes sir. The engine specs out perfectly. I think that’s what has me so confused on where to check next. Engine is performing as it should and I get enough voltage to power a drill and that’s about it

Comment

And just to check, the low voltage is regardless of where the controls for welding are set?

Comment

That is correct. The voltage remains the same no matter the setting on the welder portion.

Comment

Ok went back to do some checking. Started the welder. The engine fired right up. Turned the switch to Run/Idle and it remained at an extremely high rpm. So it’s not dropping down to what I would believe is a normal idle. I checked the voltage at the idle solenoid and it was 4 volts at the black wire and ground was good, clean and solid. Not sure if this is a new issue to add to the others or if it is a result or possible cause of the other issues
                      Last edited by Lugnut; 06-03-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I would say you might need to take it in for service, this sounds like it could be a PC1 issue.

Comment

What exactly is a PC1 issue

Comment

PC1 is a printed circuit control board. Great for mass production; horrible for troubleshooting and repairs.

Comment

MIght consult with company below to see if it's worth sending in circuit board for evaluation.... Also they do list a large selection of circuit boards for replacements... Don't know anything about company but it may be place to start...

https://innovatcorp.com/

Dale
                              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                              X