X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev320
    started a topic GF-250 armature bouncing

GF-250 armature bouncing

I just dragged home a running hobart GF250 yesterday with 200ci ford six engine for about $100 via horse trading. The seller claims to have welded with it 3x and on the final job there was a bang then the armature started dancing violently at the flywheel end of the generator head. Its aggressive enough to push the brushes out of the holders and ive watched it one time for just a few seconds to verify running condition. I presume a roller bearing ejected the ball bearings.

My question is does this generator have a bearing at that end or is it supported by a flexplate that may have torn the center hub out? I am going to attempt a repair if i can get the parts and manage disassembly without too much investment. Are any special tools needed for getting this generator apart? Is it a full tear down or can that end be serviced by itself once unmarried from the engine? If its too big a deal or if the armature is bent i will part it out and the motor will became a stationary hydraulic pump unit.

Any tips on where i can find service schematics and part numbers? Nothing came up on miller or hobarts sites for me.

thanks fellas.
    Last edited by Rev320; 03-03-2019, 02:35 PM. Reason: Typo cleanup

• Rev320
    replied
    Thank you keith, youre a lifesaver!

So it looks like no bearing at the bellhousing end, which means ive got a bent armature or a flywheel/hub issue to figure out. Hmm

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Check your email.

Leave a comment:

• Rev320
    replied
    GF-250
    SPEC 5517F-1
    SN 10-4W-5988

mike_belben@yahoo.com

Leave a comment:

• Rev320
    replied
    If it isnt pouring out tomorrow i will untarp and unload tbe machine from my truck then find the dataplate and post the info. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Rev320 View Post
    I just dragged home a running hobart GF250 yesterday with 200ci ford six engine for about $100 via horse trading. The seller claims to have welded with it 3x and on the final job there was a bang then the armature started dancing violently at the flywheel end of the generator head. Its aggressive enough to push the brushes out of the holders and ive watched it one time for just a few seconds to verify running condition. I presume a roller bearing ejected the ball bearings.

My question is does this generator have a bearing at that end or is it supported by a flexplate that may have torn the center hub out? I am going to attempt a repair if i can get the parts and manage disassembly without too much investment. Are any special tools needed for getting this generator apart? Is it a full tear down or can that end be serviced by itself once unmarried from the engine? If its too big a deal or if the armature is bent i will part it out and the motor will became a stationary hydraulic pump unit.

Any tips on where i can find service schematics and part numbers? Nothing came up on miller or hobarts sites for me.

thanks fellas.
    List all of the information on the machine's plate, and your email address.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X