help with an old hobart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with an old hobart

hi i have a welder /generator model mwg-350 serial no -wg189 spec no- 3894a want to see if anyone has a operators manual or schematic and would anyone know if it can be used as a stick welder it seems as it is designed to be a control for a mig thanks for any info Click image for larger version

Name:	awe1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	703197Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (49).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	703198Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l160055.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	703199

What the heck? Where are you guys finding these old brutes? Talk about standing the tests of time. How about a higher res. of the front. I'm trying to figure out features and it's hard to tell? I'm seeing a few bells and whistles.

Comment

Not a bad machine for work over 150Amps or so. Low end of them really wasn't that good on the one I used which was very similar. They were designed for production pipe welding more than anything and do great with cored wires. It does not have CC capability, only CV so probably wouldn't be very good with SMAW, (stick). It does however appear to have a gas solenoid and line connection so could be used with a shielding gas too.

Parts for the Willy's engine, (Jeep) are easy to source as are most of the parts for the welding generator. All pretty basic.
      Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

hi old guy found it on ebay or what i like to call alices restaurant while looking for parts for one im restoring those are the only pics i have right now will take some better pics as soon as the rains go its still tarped and on the trailer im iching to get it unloaded and check it over it apears to have a flo gauge for the gas hookup on front a remote contactor conector many things im un familar with

Comment

I would hazard a guess that back in the day it was decked for carbon or stainless GTAW?

Comment

hi auto affair so it would need a wire feeder to be usable as it was intended

Comment

hi oldguy would that be tig welding i am sure that there are guys that can do great welding doing tig but chasing a rod or the rod chasing the torch while controling a pedal ffor me is a bridge to far

Comment

The blue multi pin plug is for remote control and possibly electric supply to the feeder along with gas solenoid. The photo is not clear enough to see the flowmeter but it stands to reason although I've never seen that setup. The switch on the lower left is probably for remote or local operation of the contactor.

Yes, you will require a remote feeder for this unit but I don't know if 120VAC powered, or 24VAC powered. Doesn't need to be Hobart but a "Hefty", (Hobart), LN-25, (Lincoln), or 8VS/12VS, (Miller), would work also as they are voltage sensing feeders not reliant upon a steady power supply voltage. These "voltage sensing" feeders get their power from the welding current.

That machine will mig weld literally all day in and out and look good doing it within it's parameters. Back in those days you really didn't have small footprint welders that would be mobile and multi-purpose capable. These were to speed up welding in the pipeline arena over conventional stick at the time.

I feel the newer machines are a compromise myself but that's just me.
                Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Originally posted by restore mac View Post
                  hi oldguy would that be tig welding i am sure that there are guys that can do great welding doing tig but chasing a rod or the rod chasing the torch while controling a pedal ffor me is a bridge to far
                  Don't sell your self short on ability just yet.

And not to be disagreeable, but...my $5.00 dollar bet says DC motor generator, Constant Current, set up for GTAW, and while it probably could be hooked up to a voltage sensing feeder of today for GMAW or FCAW, my recall of history suggests the remote was a rheostat dial not a foot pedal, and GMAW wasn't quite reaching the maturity of popularity it's now reached back when that welder was a pup on the market.

I could be wrong? But I don't think so. $5.00 looking for a taker? My final answer.

Comment

Hey Keith, the beast says Hobart, can you tell us a bit about it? And if you pass along a manual, I'd appreciate a closer look. Thanks.

Comment

yes it does say hobart yes keith any help on an operators manual would help a great deal

Comment

We do not have anything on this unit. It was based on a Hobart 3664 Spec machine. All we have on that one is a part list. Check your email for that.

Comment

hi thank you very much any help is great i can at least now identify the internal components and have something to go by from the posts above i think setting this up as a welding power source for a mig will be a starting point as mentioned in posts above any one know if a miller weld control 1 with a spoolmatic 1 rated at 200 amps would be a current sensing control that would work with this i really would like to put a good hobart period correct mig feeder and torch with this but have no idea what that would be the miller control and spool seem to be a compact solution and i would think the gun with built in speed control would be very usefull

Comment

Working...
                          X