Need help with old hobart/American cryogenic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with old hobart/American cryogenic

Free welder that I got from my dad. I have no clue when it was manufactured. Willys in it still runs great and it welded great until I flipped the polarity switch. Now there's nothing. Generator works but will not strike an arc. Any chance I can still find a switch? Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Well I'll be. This is a first for me. I'm just going to stand back and breath that bad boy in. Whew. I never seen one of them before? I'm curious what part does cryogenic play? I'm sure you can find a switch. A switch is a switch is a switch, almost of course? Said the man with a horse of course. You might be able to clean that one up actually but I'm no expert.

My question is, why did you go and change polarity? Lol...I know why? Because you could. lol. You sure it's locked into a location?

Comment

I've never seen one like it and nobody else i know has either. I cant find anything about it online. Im sure switch is broken. Tested it with fluke meter. I'm thinking I may find one at an electrical supply store.

Comment

While I can't say with certainty, you probably won't find much if anything on the company. Long since gone into history. Many companies buy and rebrand products, for a number of reasons, but fail to sustain the image or amass a following. Could also have been that they bought this from here, that from there and the next thing you know...you got a welder.

Ever hear of Greyhound A.C. Welder Corp?
        ERGOLYTE Manufacturing Company?
        Hercules Electric & Manufacturing Company?
        Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing?

How about Marquette? They still around? Anyways , post a couple three pictures of the switch and you might be surprised at the response.

Comment

My dad has been welding with it since the early 70's and the company he worked for bought it new. So I'm pretty confident that it's all original.

Comment

Nothing really special about the old welder; pretty much a standard DC only 250A machine of the period. The faceplate is custom imprinted for the machine as per the original owner. Hobart probably would have supplied it in pink if the purchaser requested it.

That switch was the same used across the board from almost every "Simplified" machine built that could be polarity changed via a switch until later years. Eaton still makes a copy but it's about $150.00 from electrical supply outlets. They do go bad from time to time with the internal center "rocker" breaking, or the spring parting. The switch is sealed and not really repairable. You can many times catch a complete welder for little more than the cost of the switch. Unfortunate as it is, Hobart machines just don't hold the value a Lincoln, or Miller does. In my opinion, Hobart is a MUCH better value being every bit as good, (or better).

Do an internet search for a DPDT switch with center position "OFF".
            Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Appreciate the help. I was able to fill it up with white lithium grease and work with it and now it seems to be welding fine again. Hopefully it stays that way. At least I know what the switch is actually called.

Comment

Originally posted by Randysc View Post
                Appreciate the help. I was able to fill it up with white lithium grease and work with it and now it seems to be welding fine again. Hopefully it stays that way. At least I know what the switch is actually called.
                Not what you want to use in that switch as it's conductive. I'd wash it out in solvent, allow to dry thoroughly and relubricate with "non conductive" grease.

The switch operates at low voltage so may be alright but if it shorts you won't be happy.
                Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

These were basically the Hobart G-250,261 models and were based on the Hobart SPEC#4940.

Comment

Very curious about the year it was made. Any info would ne appreciated. 12CW57933 wcg250e

Comment

Built in 1965.

Comment

Working...
                      X