Is this rare and worth restoring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this rare and worth restoring?

Hobart dual generator model 400 amp, serial no. fw1272, with a Chrysler flathead straight eight power source and second belt driven ac generator. Been setting for a long time but can't find another like it either. Scrap or not?

Originally posted by kip1456 View Post
    Hobart dual generator model 400 amp, serial no. fw1272, with a Chrysler flathead straight eight power source and second belt driven ac generator. Been setting for a long time but can't find another like it either. Scrap or not?
    Depends...how much time have you got. how much effort your willing to extend, and how deep are your pockets? While you could scrap it, price it realistically and there's a buyer for everything. Think of it as the holy grail, it's probably going to sit for a bit.
    I see potential in it. Call It a hobby and tinker.

Comment

That's good general advice, but I was hoping for more like age and how many was made.

Comment

Wait till Kieth (tech support) is in the office and has time to research it in between his other duties...

Dale
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Thanks. Was hoping Keith would reply.

Comment

Your first question was, was it rare? Second was, is it worth restoring? Followed by scrap or not?

Let's consider the first question. Maybe?
            Second question. Sure...why not?
            Last question...your choice to decide?

Now your wondering age and production numbers?
            I can say with a degree of certainty, it's old and probably not as many as you might think?

I'm inclined to think your wondering if you found the holy grail? It's Christmas so my wish for you is Keith comes backs and say's "we at Hobart have been searching forever for one just like it, name your price?".

Comment

As a general rule, everything I have is worthless, and everything I want is priceless. LOL. In reality, I cannot find another like it, or even mentioned anywhere on the internet, and thats pretty unusual for me. Merry Christmas everyone and thanks.

Comment

Also, after examining the pics I took a little closer I noticed this is also serving as a winter home up in the top right of the pic. Guessing a raccoon. Maybe a cat, don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by kip1456 View Post
                  Also, after examining the pics I took a little closer I noticed this is also serving as a winter home up in the top right of the pic. Guessing a raccoon. Maybe a cat, don't know.
                  Here is a 2006 discussion of a simalar model dated 1971, but no mention of the belt-driven AC. May be a military model, so check at MM Freed (forgot name).

https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/f...sler-225/page2

Merry Christmas!
                  Last edited by Northweldor; 12-25-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah, seen that one and several like it. Has the 6 cylinder instead of the 8.

Comment

Comment

Comment

That first picture above looks like the remnants of camo paint on the sheetmetal. However, the free Manual site is here, and you can type in your specs, and see what you get. I'm guessing end of Viet Nam war period.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Comment

Thank you. Searched for Hobart welder and come up with 2 that were gas motor driven and both were 6 cylinder flatheads. Looked a lot similar to mine but only had the welder generator.

Comment

All I could find was a SPEC# 603 built in May, 1939 based on that serial number. I do not have a spec sheet or any manual documentation for that particular unit. This is one I have not seen before.

Comment

Working...
                              X