No announcement yet.

Hobart g-213 service manual request and advice info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya I assumed at first the red cables inside the machine where positive until I looked at the electrical schematic to find otherwise

Comment

Thanks for the help auto affair and letting me know that switch is just a start switch

Comment

Originally posted by mla2ofus View Post
        When I got mine neither batt cable was marked for polarity. I hooked the two batts and found it was discharging the batts while running. Switched the batts around and everything worked fine. The batt cable on the left side looking at the engine end is the positive.
        Mike
        I don't remember if yours has a starting motor or uses a winding. Mine uses a winding and of the leads exiting the enclosure the right one is positive, and the left is negative. The positive is considerably longer also as the starting system is 24VDC. Both cables are black.
        Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

I ran my machine for a spell today and had just over 74VDC open circuit voltage at the welding terminals. My machine has never made ACV since I've had it as the rotor has a burnt open wire I assume which was fairly common. I've had my machine since 1974 so quite familiar with it. I've probably burned over a ton of Stoody "31" hardfacing rod with it over the years, and I'm not kidding.

Comment

Yes that all sound correct auto affair mine is a winding start system my ac system does work as mine has protection fuses does yours ?
            And yes right is positive left is negative and I was getting about 72 volts dc from the charging side to the ground lead.

Comment

Originally posted by TDO View Post
              Yes that all sound correct auto affair mine is a winding start system my ac system does work as mine has protection fuses does yours ?
              And yes right is positive left is negative and I was getting about 72 volts dc from the charging side to the ground lead.
              Mine does not have fuses at all. Your machine is newer as the later variants did have circuit protection. Slip ring to slip ring resistance is open on my machine, and it should be less than two ohms so the rotor is compromised somewhere. It was really common in the machines that did not have fuses.

Comment

I also just got one of these yesterday would someone be able to email me a copy of the manuals. [email protected]

Comment

Hey everyone I just bought a hobart g213haven't got it running yet does it need both battery to run correctly. Where can I get a manual for this machine

Comment

Prose, What is your unit's SPEC number?

Comment

It's hard to read 4130E

Comment

Hey Kevin thank you so much for the manual . I have the magneto out and cap off cleaning it . I got zapped by it so it has spark I hope I can get it running I can tell it sat in storage for a while

Comment

Sorry Keith thanks again

Comment

Hi everyone my magneto has spark at the coil I got a shock from it but when install it and crank it there's no spark at the plugs.any suggestions would be appreciated thanks uh

Comment

Could be bad rotor, cap or plug wires. With mag installed and the cap off use one of the plug wires with a spark plug on it grounded to the engine, hold the wire end on the contact that contacts the cap and crank it over. if it makes spark then you know where the problem is. If the elec start doesn't work then you'll need help to do this test.
                              Mike

Comment

One thing I forgot to add was to sure to use a known good plug wire. If the wisconsin wire is bad the test won't help.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X