Old weldanpower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old weldanpower

I have this old weldanpower machine code# 9112. I dont know much about this thing other than it it wont weld and no power at the outlets. I have checked and cleaned the brushes and exciter rings. I was told it may need to be flashed back to life. How can I tell if this is my problem, and if it is the problem what is the pocess to perform this procedure. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. I would really like to bring this old boy back to life.

Not sure about yours, but some of them have a flashing coil under the engine flywheel and if so it could be the problem or a broken wire between it and the generator. Also post your model # and serial # so folks can better help you as there are many variations of the weldanpower..
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by T&TTexss View Post
      I have this old weldanpower machine code# 9112. I dont know much about this thing other than it it wont weld and no power at the outlets. I have checked and cleaned the brushes and exciter rings. I was told it may need to be flashed back to life. How can I tell if this is my problem, and if it is the problem what is the pocess to perform this procedure. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. I would really like to bring this old boy back to life.
      Just google "field flashing a generator" and you will find several methods .

Comment

Thank you for responding guys. Let me update you on what I know about this welder. I have cleaned the slip rings, removed the brushes and cleaned the connections. I dont think the diode is blown to the exiters and the bulkhead fuse is good. This is where i need help. What do i check next and what do i check for. Any help is needed and appreciated.
        code # 9112
        ser#A1073952
        mod # AC-225/DC-210/6
        weldanpower AC DC

Comment

Don't know if it will work for you, plug an elec drill into it's while it's running, tighten the chuck down and give it a twist with the trigger pulled. It works for flashing some generators.
          Mike

Comment

Thanx Mike Ill give that a try and Ill let you know how it turns out.

Comment

As mla2ofus says above... this uses a flashing diode, through a fuse, to a flywheel alternator to the frame. Is this an Onan or Briggs engine?

You "think" the diode is ok.. Have you checked it with a meter by isolating the single wire 219 or 200 going to the flashing diode from the front brush, whichever weldanpower you have.... And diode meter checking that wire to the frame in both directions?

Have you pulled the wires off of the brushes and ohmed the brush terminals to check the brushes, ring, and rotor continuity?

Have you ohmed the rheostat through its range?

What DC voltage are you reading across the brushes when it is running? (or across the 4 cap bank at the bottom if it is easier, rheostat come into play on some versions)
              Last edited by popscott; 03-03-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I have 13.86 acv at the diode but only 5.72 on the other side. I took a chance and shorted across the diode and ut made ac power, not sure how much but it did run a grinder for a sec.

Comment

What DC voltage are you reading across the brushes when it is running?

Comment

Ok I replaced the diode and put in an 8 amp slow blow fuse but it didnt change anything. I have
                    13.8 from the altrtnator
                    13.8 through the fuse
                    10.1 on the positive side of the diode
                    3.2 on the negative side of the diode
                    The diode us too hot to hold.
                    3.8 to the brushes and have cleaned brushes and slip rings.
                    Good continuity between slip rings
                    No continuity between the slip rings and chases ground
                    I can jump the diode and the machine loads up but blows the fuse. When I remove the fuse and just put the 13.8 straight to the bushes it will load up and stay as long as I keep power to the brushes but Im afraid to hole it there too long. Im at a stand still here.
                    Any help appreciated.

Comment

Sounds like the PIV of your diode was not high enough. You need DC voltage, not AC to excite the machine. I'm thinking your diode is blown. I don't know anything about Lincoln machines of your type but a single diode indicates 1/2 wave rectification. Are there no smoothing/filter capacitors used in this setup? If so those could be suspect.
                      Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Yes there are caps in the brush circuit... I'm wondering when he is getting it excited by shorting the diode (enough to run a drill).. why does it not stay excited by itself... normally the diode brings DC to the brush on start up and then the diode reverse biases and the welder maintains its own DC on the brushes. But it seems he has not checked the DC on the brushes themselves or the cap bank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	welder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	700097

Comment

It is a brand new 3 amp 50 volt diode and correct me if Im wrong but the power coming from the alternator is ac not dc. There is nothing between the aternator and the brushes to convert it to dc so it has to pass through the rectifier later, or atleast thats how I understand it but if I fully understood all about this thing I wouldnt be asking your help. The schematics said its a 3 amp diode and I figured a 50 volt would be enough but maybe not. I just cant understand why it will work without the diode but not with it.

Comment

IS diode place in circuit in correct polarity?...... Band towards rotor field... I know sounds like stupid question but this mistake has been made many a time and over looked....

Dale
                            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Is the wire # 219 (or 200 which ever model) on the brush/ring closest to the front panel and wire 201 on the brush/ring closest to the lamination?

Again...what is your DC volt reading across your brushes while running?

Comment

Working...
                              X