Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with an old welder/generator!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with an old welder/generator!!!

hello

i just picked up an older welder generator made by the Hobart brothers. it is powered by a Chrysler L head inline 6 engine. model number T118-502. this is a 300amp machine. it is a 6volt charging and starting system. i just got it the other night, got it purring like a kitten last night but i am only getting tiny little sparks out of the welding leads. no arc, just little sparks if i scratch the electrode. i am also getting no power to the DC 110 plug on the outside. if anyone could help me here, itd be much appreciated. im kinda clueless on the electrical part of this machine. ive heard of these things being "flashed" but have no idea what that entails of and if anyone could tell me how to do it, that'd be really appreciated as well.

Not sure if this thread will be of use to you or not.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...hing+generator

Try doing an advanced search for that model...I didn't...as well as "flashing a generator" and see what you come up with.

EDIT: Another possibly helpful thread...or not.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...highlight=T118
    Last edited by Wyoming; 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

thanks for the reply. i need to know how to flash this welder. all my brushes are intact, and moving freely when not clamped down by that clamp and spring thing. i am still getting no power to my 110 DC outlet and only tiny sparks out of the electrode. ive searched everywhere and no one explains how to actually flash the welder.

Comment

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=33176

Or just take a few seconds of your time and type in "How to flash a welder" as a search parameter on Google, or your favorite search engine, and get ready to wade through the mess of results.
        Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

i broke down and called a welder repair shop. i followed some of the steps i found through google, weldingweb and here so hopefully the welding shop can help me. thanks for your help

Comment

Welder 110

If you are getting 110 at the DC outlet, I'm guessing your welder doesn't need to be flashed. That 110 is picked off and sent back to the generator to make welding power. Look for bad connections. I recently helped a fellow in New York and he found a burned out rheostat winding under the wiper arm for the fine adjust current on the control panel. He ordered a replacement from eBay and is now up and welding.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobpedigo View Post
              If you are getting 110 at the DC outlet, I'm guessing your welder doesn't need to be flashed. That 110 is picked off and sent back to the generator to make welding power. Look for bad connections. I recently helped a fellow in New York and he found a burned out rheostat winding under the wiper arm for the fine adjust current on the control panel. He ordered a replacement from eBay and is now up and welding.
              In post #1 and 3, he said he is getting no 110 power.

Comment

I have a lincweld 225 generator in pretty rough shape cleaned it up got it running good but cant get any power to 110 outlet and nothing to the positive negative it wont strike a arc not sure what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Smokedog View Post
                  I have a lincweld 225 generator in pretty rough shape cleaned it up got it running good but cant get any power to 110 outlet and nothing to the positive negative it wont strike a arc not sure what to do
                  First, you should start your own thread, and post all on the info on the nameplate. Second, download the manual from Lincoln (about 20 - 30 models with Onan engine alone). Third, it probably needs "exciting'. Most of the old SA-200s had instructions in the manual, so maybe download one of those manuals too.

Comment

Working...
                  X