G-261 Thoughts and Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-261 Thoughts and Opinions

I've been kicking the tires, so to speak, on a friend's Hoabrt G 261 engine driven welder. It's got the Willy's flathead engine and is in pretty good overall shape. It's been in his family for several years. It starts and runs with ease. Idles up under a load and then idles back down when not. This machine is in my price range, so I'm not going to ask for help on "appraising" a machine via the internet. I burned about 2 dozen rods with and it performed the task without question. I beleive this machine will serve it's purpose for me, as I don't need the luxury of auxillary AC power in the field. I've got a generator on the truck for that. it's ll prolly only get used appx. 1-2 times a month and then put back into dry storage.
    My questions are, what is the general opinion on this machine? The likes and dislikes? I have sources for parts asfar as the little flathead goes, but what about the welder side of it? Can parts still be obtained or will I be kicking in the weeds looking for other Hobarts to nab parts from?

Thank you for any and all repies.

wow, tough crowd in here. I didn't even get a reply...

Comment

Sometimes I'm slow. (Sorry). Yes, the Jeep engine has a large restoration following and parts are easy to get. The welder end is obsolete and original parts are not available new. The unit is so simple, ordinary maintenance should keep it is running order, if it's OK now.I have a 1947 version of the same welder.

Comment

Gpb-261

I've owned mine for the past 20+ years & its always been a workhorse...The unit should have the AC outlet, which is fine for a grinder or lights.
        I decided to take mine apart and give the front panel controls & wiring some much needed attention...wiring & contacts has all got that nice green patina on everything and the control wheel was getting difficult to turn.
        I guess I'll have to paint it now too!
        Here's a few pictures of the old timer getting cleaned up.. Click Here And also a second machine I just purchased to restore.
        Take it easy
        Last edited by oldtrukluvr; 04-25-2009, 09:14 PM. Reason: Added a link to some pictures

Comment

Hobart Welder

Originally posted by oldtrukluvr View Post
          I've owned mine for the past 20+ years & its always been a workhorse...The unit should have the AC outlet, which is fine for a grinder or lights.
          I decided to take mine apart and give the front panel controls & wiring some much needed attention...wiring & contacts has all got that nice green patina on everything!
          I put a few pictures of the old girl in a different post about the antique Hobarts. Click Here
          Take it easy
          I have the same welder, email me some time and I will send you some pics. dave, email at [email protected]

Comment

Dave, thanks for sending the pictures, you're doing a fine job restoring your 261 I think others would be inspired to see your craftsmanship & attention to detail.
            It looks super.
            Also, I like the boxes & fenders they built for it...when I get the time, I'm going to do the same to mine, it really gives the unit a sturdy look & functional for keeping the cables & supplies handy....I noticed mine is mounted to the trailer opposite of yours.
            take care & keep up the good work

Comment

Pics of G-261

Originally posted by oldtrukluvr View Post
              Dave, thanks for sending the pictures, you're doing a fine job restoring your 261 I think others would be inspired to see your craftsmanship & attention to detail.
              It looks super.
              Also, I like the boxes & fenders they built for it...when I get the time, I'm going to do the same to mine, it really gives the unit a sturdy look & functional for keeping the cables & supplies handy....I noticed mine is mounted to the trailer opposite of yours.
              take care & keep up the good work
              Here are some pictures of that welder.

Comment

Working...
              X