Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you weld a steel car wheel to stop a leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    I always worry when we got to "power" seat them with starting fluid. Air in them is really hot after.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    I know this is an old post and the OP welded on a rim and nothing bad happened to him.
    However welding on a rim with a tire mounted on it can go very wrong.

This last video covers several tire fatalities.
    One happened when a man deflated the tire, welded the rim and then re-inflated the tire.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Really aint sposed to weld on a wheel with the tire on. Seems maybe if no rubber was behind it ok but there are cases of some delayed exothermic reaction,,,, I dont recall the details or even exact the problem but it can be. I am sure its rather rare but we sw some post or warning on it, been a while rgough.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Sounds good! Certainly worth the attempt!

Leave a comment:

• Nipper
    replied
    It was so small I needed soap to find it. I deflated the tire, hit it with the grinder and it was solid so I put a tack weld on it. : )
    Holding fine! I'm thinking soldering it might have been fine as well since we are only talking 32 psi.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    The short answer is that, yes, you can weld a steel wheel if you have a hole in it. But it's usually a lot more complicated than that by how the hole was formed, making the repair questionably sound.

Leave a comment:

• Blacksmith
    replied
    You may find that the heat exacerbates the "little bit" of rust. Generally, at least on car bodies, you have to "cut back" to sound metal before welding.
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 07-21-2022, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nipper
    started a topic Can you weld a steel car wheel to stop a leak?

Can you weld a steel car wheel to stop a leak?

Can you MIG weld a steel car wheel to stop a slow leak where the wheel has a bit of rust? Anyone ever do this?
Working...
X