Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you weld a steel car wheel to stop a leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you weld a steel car wheel to stop a leak?

Can you MIG weld a steel car wheel to stop a slow leak where the wheel has a bit of rust? Anyone ever do this?
    Polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride

You may find that the heat exacerbates the "little bit" of rust. Generally, at least on car bodies, you have to "cur back" yo sound metal before welding.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

The short answer is that, yes, you can weld a steel wheel if you have a hole in it. But it's usually a lot more complicated than that by how the hole was formed, making the repair questionably sound.

Comment

It was so small I needed soap to find it. I deflated the tire, hit it with the grinder and it was solid so I put a tack weld on it. : )
        Holding fine! I'm thinking soldering it might have been fine as well since we are only talking 32 psi.
        Polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride

Comment

Sounds good! Certainly worth the attempt!

Comment

Really aint sposed to weld on a wheel with the tire on. Seems maybe if no rubber was behind it ok but there are cases of some delayed exothermic reaction,,,, I dont recall the details or even exact the problem but it can be. I am sure its rather rare but we sw some post or warning on it, been a while rgough.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
            X