Mig Welding Generator/Stick Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig Welding Generator/Stick Combo

Can the Hobart 145 safely and efficiently power the Hobart 240 Mig Welder?

Generator puts out 4000 watts continuous (4500 watts peak) or 16.75 amps ( its in spec sheet) .

Ironman 240 requires about 50 amps or about 12,000 watts (240 volts) at top settings (its in spec sheet)...

Technically you would want a generator that is capable of about 50% more output than welder requires so full out a good generator for welder should be capable of about 18,000 watts ( about 75 amps) ... Size of generator has a lot to do with its output when you strike arc and put load on generator, an small generator will bog down because the rotating mass of armature can not sustain the inertia when generator has a sudden load applied (initial arc strike)....

The AC output of the Hobart Champion 145 is going to limit you to something equal to about a 100 amp output welder,.... Which would be equivalent to a Hobart Hander 125 welder...
    Last edited by Dale M.; 05-22-2021, 09:38 AM.
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Generator puts out 4000 watts continuous (4500 watts peak) or 16.75 amps ( its in spec sheet) .

Ironman 240 requires about 50 amps or about 12,000 watts (240 volts) at top settings (its in spec sheet)...

Technically you would want a generator that is capable of about 50% more output than welder requires so full out a good generator for welder should be capable of about 18,000 watts ( about 75 amps) ... Size of generator has a lot to do with its output when you strike arc and put load on generator, an small generator will bog down because the rotating mass of armature can not sustain the inertia when generator has a sudden load applied (initial arc strike)....

The AC output of the Hobart Champion 145 is going to limit you to something equal to about a 100 amp output welder,.... Which would be equivalent to a Hobart Hander 125 welder...

Comment

Comment

Thank You very much. Do you have any suggestions as to what i should buy?

Comment

Originally posted by JJGomez1980 View Post
            Thank You very much. Do you have any suggestions as to what i should buy?
            Are you referring to the generator? As mentioned, get one that is rated for a continuous duty of 50% more than what you need for the welder. That said, you may not need to power the welder at its top abilities, so it will then depend on what you need the welder to do.

Comment

What is the type of work you are trying to do? A 240 isnt really a machine made to run from a generator. Not that it cant but its kind of a poor way to do it.
              http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

To be honest with you i bought it because i thought it was the better of the two between the 125 and the 240. I’m rusty at welding i went to school for it but never really persuaded the skill now that I can’t do what i was doing before i want to brush up on my old skills but im lost.

Comment

I think it may be best to return it if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JJGomez1980 View Post
                    To be honest with you I bought it because I thought it was the better of the two between the 125 and the 240. ...
                    It absolutely is. But do you have no way to power it?

Comment

Those 2 machines are in way different classes. The big one is 4x the power pf a 125. That little genset has its place but its not really suited to run most welders from AC. In fact its a poor way to do it and some investment in a real circuit or 2 is well worth it.
                      Last edited by Sberry; 05-25-2021, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Ironman spec sheet on this website: - Note: Running off of generator power is not recommended for the IronMan 240.
                        Blacksmith
                        Stickmate LX AC/DC
                        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                        Hand cranked coal forge
                        Freon bottle propane forge
                        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Actually for home/shop/retired gentleman that does occasional welding the Handler 210MPV or maybe the HH 190 is plenty of machine......

I do most of my welding with HH 140 and have had good results with up to 1/4 inch material.. Then there is about 5% of the time I wish I has gotten the Hobart 210MP...
                          Last edited by Dale M.; 05-25-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Dale, you are a poster child for a second machine. Get another bottle to have for it and as a spare and nothing is as easy as 023 in a 140 and larger wire in a larger machine. Its such a deal I have 4 of them, one alum, 140 w 023, 180 030 and a 255 035 and one of the reasons for the bigger one is simply full size spools. At one time I had more use but it still has its occasional place, earns its cost back once in a while and is so used selling it wouldnt put much a dent in the cost of a new one. If I was welding full blast wouldnt blink at a new machine but mine sit so much and used so occasionally not worth the upgrade.
                            With real business the labor cost makes new free and profitable in a hurry, hobby and maintenance types it takes a lot longer and not a lot to recover from cheaper consumable cost.
                            Last edited by Sberry; 05-26-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X