Increasing penetration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing penetration

Hey everyone, first post here. I have a question about penetration. I attached a couple cross sections to show what I have. Do you have any recommendations on how to get more penetration into the root? Should I increase wire speed? I am welding up some camper mounts to put on my truck to tie a camper down to. The material is 1/4 inch. My machine is a titanium mig 170 on 220v. .035 solid wire with 75/25 gas. Thanks!

Heat is what determines penetration. Soo....looks like your to cold maybe. But your gas could affect it to from what I have read.....stick out etc....

Comment

Should I turn wire feed speed up? From what I’ve researched, that increases amps.

Comment

Increase wire speed a little will help, but keep the wire running in the leading edge of the puddle will help the most, let the wire dig in, melt the base metal then flow back & build up the weld profile. Sometimes a small triangle movement helps. Front of the puddle, into the crack, then back left, across to the right then back to the crack.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the tip. I was doing small C motions with that. I might have not been far enough in front of the puddle too
          Last edited by Mfar12; 04-14-2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

If you increase WFS you will need to increase Voltage as well or it could make this problem worse. I would recommend starting with settings on the door chart of the machine for that material thickness and making sure you stay in the leading 1/3 of the puddle all the time, slight movement to help tie in at the toes can help but too much movement can cause insufficient penetration.

Comment

I also think an .030 wire would help.

But increase wire speed to get those amps. Increase voltage to match if needed.

Comment

With the small machines,,,, and these are small are wide open on about 10 ga material with good fit up. I should find a pic of the first bead with a 210. I ran one, too cold with the chart and I turn it up once and hit perfect wide open. The door chart is good for gaps and vert up. I agree that 030 tends to be better in most machines this class.
                I ran 035 in the 210 to test and didnt ready have the seat time I had 030. I focus on the high end for the test but it makes sense the smaller wire can go lower current for light material. I don't weld so regular and it makes a little difference especially thin stuff. I have a 140 lately I use with 023 and it is a quite a bit easier when you on the edge.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                X