Electrical Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Questions

Hi, so I am very new to the welding world and have been looking around for one to buy. I want something cheap and easy to learn on so i was looking at the Titanium 125. But my overall question was regarding electrical outlets i guess. I live in an apartment with no dryer 220 outlets so Im left with the 120v 15 amp circuit outlets and no way to modify anything. Don't really want to screw up anything and know very little about electrical wiring. Just wondering whether it would burn my apartment down/ repeatedly trip the breaker/ whether it would work etc. And I wouldn't really wanna buy a generator or anything. Any advice/recommendations is appreciated.

thanks,

Hobart Hamdler 140. I love mine and welds 1/4 inch like a champ.

Comment

The major hold back is going to be the 15 amp receptical (circuit) ....... Its going to limit you to about a 70-80AMP capability no matter what welder you buy, to get a full top quality 120V welder (140 amp) its going to require a receptical with a 20 or 30 amp breaker behind it...... Get best welder you can afford and be content with its limited usability till you can get out of apartment and get a good shop with proper electricals to run welder at full capacity.... My choice was top end 120V Hobart Handler 140, though I do a lot of small work it can go up to 140 Amp and do 1/4 inch materials, so it does about 95% of may needs. but it requires a receptical with at least 25 amp capability to run full out...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; Yesterday, 07:54 AM.
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
        The major hold back is going to be the 15 amp receptical....... Its going to limit you to about a 70-80AMP capability no matter what welder you buy, to get a full top quality 120V welder (140 amp) its going to require a receptical with a 20 or 30 amp breaker behind it...... Get best welder you can afford and be content with its limited usability till you can get out of apartment and get a good shop with proper electricals to run welder at full capacity.... My choice was top end 120V Hobart Handler 140, though I do a lot of small work it can go up to 140 Amp and do 1/4 inch materials, so it does about 95% of may needs. but it requires a receptical with at least 25 amp capability to run full out...

Dale

I run mine off the 50AMP service I installed for my RV, I have not tried to run it off a 15amp outlet.

Comment

You could use a cord from a laundry outlet, bathroom or kitchen counter top. You dont need a 20A outlet, you need a 20Acircuit. Most outdoor circuits are 20, certainly could be and worth looking.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I was thinking the same as the 'berry. Check the breaker itself, and you hopefully have a 20A circuit, even though the receptacles themselves on the circuit are a 15A configuration. They only need to be a 20A configuration when they are the only outlet on the circuit.

Comment

Where are you going to weld?

When I lived in an apt. I was lucky enough to have a little garage I could work out of.

Building was built in 1933 and I only had access to a 15amp circuit that was in the laundry room shared by the dryer. If anyone was doing laundry, no welding

I did make it work with a Lincoln 100HD 120v welding machine though.
              Ed Conley
              Screaming Broccoli, Inc
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
              TA185
              SO 2020 Bender
              Miller 125c Plasma
              "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

I went to a body shop for a call. The dipstick trying to weld from general shares light circuits, 15A and then the machine plugged in to it with 25 ft trouble lamp with 100 watt lamp burning, a 140 on the wrong polarity. I made them get 50 ft of 12 and hook it back to a 12 circuit near the panel to weld from.
                Did a little job the other day and did have 120v but it was really roundabout. My 50 ft reach direct to the panel. Cut circuit length 1/2 easy.
                Last edited by Sberry; 04-14-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Most outdoor are 20, seems it might even be modern code. Kitchen and laundry and I think maybe bath are 20. As I mention about earlier I had them get cord to reach a good circuit and take about 75 ft 14 out of the loop plus the parasitic load on that circuit. Was a case where the use of a cord actually improved the service vs plugging in to a local recept.
                  Dale,,, the 140 might even be rated to run on a 30 circuit.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 04-19-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    Most outdoor are 20, seems it might even be modern code. Kitchen and laundry and I think maybe bath are 20. As I mention about earlier I had them get cord to reach a good circuit and take about 75 ft 14 out of the loop plus the parasitic load on that circuit. Was a case where the use of a cord actually improved the service vs plugging in to a local recept.
                    Dale,,, the 140 might even be rated to run on a 30 circuit.
                    My HH 140 was tripping my 20 amp circuit when going full out, had to up circuit to 30 amp breaker but retained my really good quality 20A receptacle (NEMA 5-30R) so I did not have to change plug on cord....

I found that the HH140's KVA power factor is 2.9 KVA so it draws s approximately 24+ amps (KVA value is right therein manual)

Click image for larger version  Name:	kva-amps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.5 KB ID:	712669 ,
                    Last edited by Dale M.; 04-19-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I am not sure if there is a legal way to do it without changing the end. They did something similar at a powerhouse I was on.
                      it's not due to the particular machine but that is is a 120v circuit which would allow other equipment with 15 ends to be plugged in to it.

Comment

Not saying it hasn't been done. When this is done make sure the appliance has a 14 or better cord. Click image for larger version  Name:	chop saw only.JPG Views:	0 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	712674
                        Last edited by Sberry; 04-20-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The dvi units use some of these principles regarding over current protection. It's how they came to use the 14 cord. Single voltage 240v use a 12, same they put on the stick mates for years.

Comment

On my HH 140, line cord is 14 gauge, I use a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord and supply from breaker to dedicated receptical is 10 gauge.... After a extended use at highest output, the receptical and plugs and extension cord were checked for heat, and although there was a bit of warmth in some areas nothing was at alarming level.... All cords and wiring are best quality available locally....

Dale

Comment

There is about 8 or 9V drop wide open 023 that machine on 50 ft of 14 cord and 4 or so with a 12. The duty cycles are so short wire heat isnt much a problem. Could be some heat los in the cord could be contributed to the weld. The little machines can use all the help they can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X