Surfacing welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfacing welds

I have an old Ariens snowblower and want to build up the skid shoe wear surface a little bit before they get too thin to weld. They are still fairly new currently.

I'm thinking of simply covering the wear surface with rows of beads. It's a small surface. I'm sure the regular MIG wire isn't what a 'pro' would use for hard facing, but it will be plenty good for my application and the level of use and wear it gets.

Have any of you guys done similar surfacing with normal MIG wire? Should I just cover the entire surface with beads? This is low-budget and pretty non-critical, I just want to ensure that I don't need to buy skid shoes again as long as I have an easy way to prolong their life!

Thanks!

Sure, that will work fine.

Comment

Standard MIG wire is a helluva lot harder than nothing. No need to spring for true hardfacing wire unless you are doing enough of it to warrant the extra life and expense.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
        I have an old Ariens snowblower and want to build up the skid shoe wear surface a little bit before they get too thin to weld. They are still fairly new currently.

I'm thinking of simply covering the wear surface with rows of beads. It's a small surface. I'm sure the regular MIG wire isn't what a 'pro' would use for hard facing, but it will be plenty good for my application and the level of use and wear it gets.

Have any of you guys done similar surfacing with normal MIG wire? Should I just cover the entire surface with beads? This is low-budget and pretty non-critical, I just want to ensure that I don't need to buy skid shoes again as long as I have an easy way to prolong their life!

Thanks!
        Since this is a small job with limited use and low ability and expectation, it is likely ok. If I was doing this for someone, I would go to the LWS and purchase the reqiuired amount of HF stick electrode, and do the job properly, especially if the parts concerned were HS steel

Comment

Thanks all----I tried 'liking' each of your replies, but got this error message: 'You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.' Whatever that means, since I couldn't even 'like' them ONCE.....:S

Job at hand is my own snowblower, so plain old MIG wire is going to do just fine.
          Last edited by MarkG; 09-22-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
            Thanks all----I tried 'liking' each of your replies, but got this error message: 'You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.' Whatever that means, since I couldn't even 'like' them ONCE.....:S

Job at hand is my own snowblower, so plain old MIG wire is going to do just fine.
            Yeah I get same message trying to give a like, specially frustrating as I have never been able to "like" something thing first time....

Dale
            "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
            X