Advice for future welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for future welder

So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?
    Last edited by Zauoli; 12-09-2019, 04:51 AM.

I recommend contacting the American Welding Society and direct Your question to them. You can do a google search and get their contact info. Their was an article in a recent magazine of theirs concerning the subject. I'm just learning the skill so I would like to hear from other experience Tigger's also. Youtube is also a good resource for learning. Many excellent videos there. Tig welding has a very steep learning curve so many hours of practice and dedication are necessary. I have a post in the TIG category and received some excellent advice from an experienced Tigger. Its been very helpful. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Zauoli View Post
      So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?
      At one time, we had several specialized GTAW welders on this board, but they have gone where ever past forum members go. However, their posts are still in the archives and you might try a search for any questions you might have.

Most weldors start in the trade by becoming skilled in all of the major processes before specializing, and employers often do not test or hire some one who is only qualified in one area, since they may want an employee they can move to any area in the fabrication process.

Jody, at WT&T, has an excellent series of videos in all processes and his views of the arc during demos are far superior to most you will find on the net. in contrast to many bloggers, equipment sellers, and posers-as-experts, Jody has a long and varied welding career, and it shows in all his content. Here is a series of his tig videos, if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-welding.html

One area you might search here and on the old AWS board is micro tig, or micro GTAW, if you think you have the vision and hand-skills to do it.
      Last edited by Northweldor; 11-28-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zauoli View Post
        Knowledgeable and experienced don't always go together. When they do, sometimes the knowledge is limited by the experience. Sometimes the experience is limited by the lack of knowledge.

My advice is pay attention in school. Ask questions. Read more books. Think for your self.
        Learn to weld well is learning about welding theory. Basics of electricity, power sources and equipment, metallurgy, NDT, math, print reading...that stuff is more important then a pretty bead. You will not only be a good TIG welder you'll be a good everything welder learning those topics well.

Lots of guys can weld with GTAW, and make pretty beads, that doesn't equate to being knowledgeable or experienced.
        Practiced might be a better phrase for that.

Pretty beads take steady hands and lots of practice. Knowledge gains experience quicker because applying knowledge shortens the practice curve. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6521.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	706811Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6538.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	706812Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6534.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	706813Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6527.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	706814Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesBZB5T210.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	706815

Just remember when it comes to education, demand a good one. After all, you are paying for it.

Comment

Working...
        X