Adding a gusset strip to resist plate flexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a gusset strip to resist plate flexing

Hello, this is more of a mechanical stress issue than perhaps a weld question.

Question: I need to prevent bowing outwards of a metal plate that will have pulling force from front of plate where a pulley attaches. The plate is 1/4 mild steel and approx 6” wide and 18” long. This plate has a metal pulley mounted on the center of this plate. The plate is bolted into truss ends of roof house just below the gutter. We use a electric winch to raise and lower a 30’ antenna tower which pivots away from the house with one bolt of 3 removed. This system has worked great with the winch mounted at the base of the tower. However we have noticed slight bowing (approx 3/8”) of the pulley mount plate in the outward direction. My solution to stiffen this plate is to weld two 3/16” thick by 3/4” pieces of flat stock on their edge for the entire length of this pulley mount plate (I have no local access to a thicker mount plate) . Question: would the plate be less resistant to bowing outward if my gusset strips are welded on the front face of the pulleys mount plate, or welded on the backside of the plate. My gut seems to tell me if the plate is wanting to bow outwards away from the truss ends, that I ideally would want my gusset strips welded onto the backside. However I know either sided would stiffen the plate, would the gussets on one specific side make the plate less likely to bow outward than if on other side?

I hope my question is understandable.
    Thank you for anyone's input.

Mike

MY first thought would be gusset on back side....

Dale
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Repairtech4u View Post
      Hello, this is more of a mechanical stress issue than perhaps a weld question.

Question: I need to prevent bowing outwards of a metal plate that will have pulling force from front of plate where a pulley attaches. The plate is 1/4 mild steel and approx 6” wide and 18” long. This plate has a metal pulley mounted on the center of this plate. The plate is bolted into truss ends of roof house just below the gutter. We use a electric winch to raise and lower a 30’ antenna tower which pivots away from the house with one bolt of 3 removed. This system has worked great with the winch mounted at the base of the tower. However we have noticed slight bowing (approx 3/8”) of the pulley mount plate in the outward direction. My solution to stiffen this plate is to weld two 3/16” thick by 3/4” pieces of flat stock on their edge for the entire length of this pulley mount plate (I have no local access to a thicker mount plate) . Question: would the plate be less resistant to bowing outward if my gusset strips are welded on the front face of the pulleys mount plate, or welded on the backside of the plate. My gut seems to tell me if the plate is wanting to bow outwards away from the truss ends, that I ideally would want my gusset strips welded onto the backside. However I know either sided would stiffen the plate, would the gussets on one specific side make the plate less likely to bow outward than if on other side?

I hope my question is understandable.
      Thank you for anyone's input.

Mike
      My instinct is always to over-build but it often saves having to redo the job, so I would use at least 1/4 by 2" bar, stitch welded on both sides of the gusset. I think this should work on either side.

Comment

The question your asking might be rephrased, "does it take more force to compress or to stretch?". The plate is bending, and for your issue it probable doesn't matter, but I'm sure on some level it does make a difference.

Comment

Working...
        X