Tack or spot welding 1/8 in thick mild steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jessie126 View Post

Well for starters I was thinking for aesthetic purposes that as long as the rivets were flat that it would look decent enough but my partner didn't think they would last and not be as strong as a weld so we decided to just stick to the weld. It was a fleeting thought.
    tried JB weld but that didn't work either. So we'll head back to try some more tomorrow and come back to post more later.
    Thanks again North welder . : )
    If you are more of a visual learner, here is a Yutube video that shows your plug weld being done with MIG (easier and slower than FCAW, but note how fast you have to be). If you are now using a 1/4" hole and still have failing welds, you are not starting the arc on the bottom piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0B3HnmbSDw
    Last edited by Northweldor; 09-09-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      I'd drill a 1/4 inch hole, probably even chamfer it a bit just because a 1/4 hole is pretty small compared to the tip. don't stop till you've got a nice button built. Short stickout.
      I agree. With such a small hole, that could help. You need to go around the periphery, not just squirt wire straight down the hole.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6419.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	705997This doesn't prove anything. It's not meant to upset the apple cart of advice that's been given. It certainly isn't to be construed to be the final answer or authority when it comes to using magnets for a alignment device when tacking or welding.

Name:	IMG_6420.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	705998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6421.JPG
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	705999 But I didn't see much change in appearance or weld characteristics when welding over them?

Name:	IMG_6422.JPG
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	706000So I repositioned the magnets and tried again. I did notice a bitt of a burp when I circled back but that could have been my jitter doing the abrupt face in direction as an after thought?

Name:	IMG_6424.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	706001 After I turned the gas off, I got the urge to try one more, but forgot to turn the gas on. While I figure that out quickly, I figured I'd run with it. Those magnets didn't effect it much then either.

Now I'm not saying arc blow isn't real, or a condition that affects arc control and arc characteristics, or that clamping wouldn't be a better option. What I will suggest is buddy shouldn't be so quick to throw them away.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
          [
          Now I'm not saying arc blow isn't real, or a condition that affects arc control and arc characteristics, or that clamping wouldn't be a better option. What I will suggest is buddy shouldn't be so quick to throw them away.
          You are correct when you say the puddle-beading above proves nothing. A better designed "test " would have been a groove weld with a magnet on one side. Perhaps you should read this:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-c...t/not+provided

Also, no one said that the OP should "throw away" his magnets. As i explained in post # 25,

"Magnets should seldom be used except for basic tacking service, because a magnetic field will destabilize the arc plasma while welding, For this weld, they should not be used at all, and metal they have been used on should be de-magnetized or discarded."

Comment

"Magnets should seldom be used except for basic tacking service, because a magnetic field will destabilize the arc plasma while welding, For this weld, they should not be used at all, and metal they have been used on should be de-magnetized or discarded."

Pretty strong words.

"A better designed "test " would have been a groove weld with a magnet on one side."

Well... Would a double bevel groove prep on 1/8" flat bar be sufficent for this test or do I have to use a thicker material? Will the GMAW process be ok or would you require another process to be used like SMAW? Will those crappy tacking magnets be enough or do I require a stronger one?

Maybe a better test would be to guage just how strong the magnetic field is from one of those magnets? They sure don't hold much as far as I'm concerned?

Buddy's problem harsh as it sounds, isn't the magnets it's his welding abilities and understanding of the process.

Comment

"Buddy's problem harsh as it sounds, isn't the magnets it's his welding abilities and understanding of the process. "

If you read the rest of this thread, that is what I, and others, have told the OP since the beginning post.

No "Test" is needed. Anyone with any real welding experience knows that any magnetic field in close proximity to an arc will affect the arc, and, except for the few rare cases where it is used intentionally, it should be avoided. This is why some fabricators have to spend a great amount on de-gaussing equipment, why used drill-rod or drill pipe is almost impossible to weld with DC, and, why pipeline builders have to alighn stored pipe, so that it will not be magnetized by the Earth's magnetic field!

I use welding magnets at times, in fit-up and tacking, but always remove them once welding starts. I also use them often to gauss or de-gauss tools, and clean up small metal parts and debris, and they have plenty of strength for that. I don't see any necessity for gauss meter readings.

I told the OP to get rid of the magnets in this instance, because they COULD affect the weld. and he now understands why. And this discussion is largely hijacking his thread!

Comment

Thanks Northwelder. I appologize for another question for the same thing. It could be that is what the problem is. Any solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by fotso View Post
                  Thanks Northwelder. I appologize for another question for the same thing. It could be that is what the problem is. Any solutions?
                  I already gave you solutions for the magnet problem and the hole problem. (Post 25 and 30) What is it that you are still having problems with? Post pictures of your welds that were failures.
                  Last edited by Northweldor; 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X