Welding two pieces of different thickness together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding two pieces of different thickness together

So, I am working on a project to understand the welding characteristics needed for welding two pieces of material together using Laser Welding, think a Door Panel on a vehicle where they bump a thicker and a thinner piece of material together and Weld them. I am trying to understand what are the requirements or is there a standard for Laser Welding these pieces together and looking for
    1. Attack Angle
    2. Laser Focus Point
    3. Weld leg length
    4. Length of Weld on the back of the two pieces after penetrating the material.
    I appreciate any support that can be offered. Thank you for your help.

I'm sure there's someone with some better advice to offer up then I have to give you.
    My advice... a good place to start looking for answers isn't here, it's a library. Open a book and start reading.
    Now if someone comes along with better answers to your questions, I as well be reading them.

But if you want guesses...?
    1) 45 degrees
    2) just at or below the surface
    3) 1/2 diameter of the focal point
    4) equal to the length on top.
    And I remind you, those are guesses.

Comment

Another question on the same note.......

When you have 2 different thicknesses, which thickness do you use for the initial setup using the chart inside the machine?
      The thicker piece, the thinner piece or a average of the two?
      "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
      Compressions 9.7:1

Comment

Set the machine for the thicker piece. Concentrate the weld on the thicker piece and let the puddle wash onto the thinner piece.

If you set the machine for the thinner piece then you won't get enough penetration on the thicker piece.
        Gregg
        Handler 210MVP
        Stickmate 210i

Comment

Working...
        X