What gas to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gas to use

What gas is best to weld galvanized sheet metal?

Originally posted by Ramautorepair View Post
    What gas is best to weld galvanized sheet metal?
    Here is the advice you need. Scot Norris and John Wright are expert weld inspectors and consultants.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=8109

Comment

Wrong part of the forum (Edit: never mind, looks like this was corrected by a moderator), and what welding process are you using, or which processes are at your disposal? There are other variables which I use to make this decision more than just what the material is coated with.

Good questions get good answers.
      Last edited by MAC702; 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I always try to avoid galvanized metals because of health issues (metal fume fever) and not having a hood with filtered (protected) air source and by welding galvanized metals you destroy the integrity of the galvanize and open "project" to potential rust if some protection to weld are not applied....

Dale
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          I always try to avoid galvanized metals because of health issues (metal fume fever) and not having a hood with filtered (protected) air source and by welding galvanized metals you destroy the integrity of the galvanize and open "project" to potential rust if some protection to weld are not applied....

Dale
          On the other hand, many people do it for a living, with no ill effects ...

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
            ...with no ill effects ...
            Nun watt sew aver.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

On the other hand, many people do it for a living, with no ill effects ...
              A lot of sick and dead people thought that till to later....

Dale

Comment

Ramautorepair, Welcome to the forum. Use a flap disk on your sidewinder (angle grinder) to sand back (remove) the galvanized coating a couple of inches back from the joint on each side of each piece. Wear a dust mask. Do this outside in a light breeze while standing upwind. Then, use oxygen and acetylene. ~0le
                "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

The problem with galvanize is if it goes about 800° f. ( I think) it BURNS, its mostly the smoke and fumes from the burn process that is extremely toxic, so any heat process (weld) that burns the zink is the danger, does not matter if TIG/MIG/Stick/Oxy-Acet it is all the basis for the problem (burn)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Galvanized Mask .png Views:	1 Size:	363.1 KB ID:	703443
                    Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                    The problem with galvanize is if it goes about 800° f. ( I think) it BURNS, its mostly the smoke and fumes from the burn process that is extremely toxic, so any heat process (weld) that burns the zink is the danger, does not matter if TIG/MIG/Stick/Oxy-Acet it is all the basis for the problem (burn)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever
                    Having done tons of galvanized (railings catwalks, fences etc., without ill effects) , almost all while wearing the proper PPR , from the masks above , to $400 full-face air-supplied respirators supplied by the employer, I found that on a rig, these were often the jobs we made good money on.

I worried far more about that nice golden color plate you see on plenty of material ,and don't see, in many alloys, - cadmium. Then there is aluminum, stainless, lead, any sort of paint, etc., as well as the common MS guage plate,called "satin coat"which looks like mill-scale but is a type of galvanizing.

In this thread, galvaniized is probably the least dangerous.

To the OP, you don't need special gas, (C25 will do) but. might want to use one of several types of FCAW wire, instead. Also, rather than Wikipedia, look up a 20 yr. old article by Walter Sperko, an expert in galvanized engineering, on welding it safely, if you need more than in the thread I gave you above.

Last edited by Northweldor; 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Galvanized steel is welded satisfactorily using the GMA process and pure carbon dioxide shielding gaswhich provides excellent weld penetration, but considerable weld spatter.

Comment

Working...
                      X